Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Can Finally Build With Almost No Compiler Warnings

Phoronix: Mesa Can Finally Build With Almost No Compiler Warnings

Quite a feat for modern open-source projects with large C/C++ code-bases developed over the years, Mesa3D can almost be compiled now without any warnings -- there's just one remaining...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eric Engestrom of the open-source Intel team sent out a set of ssix patches
    Have we playing with a snake today

Comment

Well some of the errors were just silenced but are still there, potentially this is perfectly fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Have we playing with a snake today
        The snake has eaten me asleep.

Comment

Might try it, with Sid's stable weekly rolling compiler... hopefully there would be no warnings on any architecture

Snake's dream
          Last edited by dungeon; 21 September 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

They should setup CI, build with Wall, Werror, pedantic, flags. And, if PR's build doesn't succeed, then PR doesn't get in... That would keep project clean, as it's easy to fix things immediately, but TODOs usually get almost never resolved...

Comment

Yes, i am amazed at the nonchalant attitude towards warnings. A stable release should not happen with one. Either change the code, or the compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                Yes, i am amazed at the nonchalant attitude towards warnings. A stable release should not happen with one. Either change the code, or the compiler.
                I agree. Warnings exist for a reason, so stability (or just simply the quality of code) is very questionable if they are left un-attended.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                  I bet a big part of that is code that originally produced no warnings, but newer compilers are better at finding problems / have more warnings.

Comment

Then fix it before your next release. Either in your code, or in the official compiler you use. GCC gives warnings when it should not? Use clang.

Comment

Working...
                    X