Mesa Eyeing The Removal Of Autotools Build Support In Favor Of Meson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
    How have the build-times been for people who build mesa themselves? It seems there are some benefits, between 10-20% in the case of mesa on my machine:

(18.2.0 and later are built using meson)
    It about halved build time for me (I use ccache too).

Comment

Meson still has major regressions each release with fixes sometimes taking weeks. Until Meson stabilizes and/or gets more developers behind it, I wouldn't consider removing support for other builds systems in projects.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Yay. Reinventing the wheel for the n-th time.
        Personally I'm happy that they are reinventing the wheel, it would suck if we still had wooden carriage wheels for our cars which we've been using for years.

Comment

yep exactly, will do a video bout that the coming days: http://youtube.com/renerebe

Comment

Please be aware, that there are also *non-unixoid* systems that compile and make use of Mesa. Those systems generally have a limited *unixoid* environment similar to cygwin (or less than that). The world is not *unix only*.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Good, that should make things a bit easier. Debian will have to pick it up, it's still using autotools for Mesa build.
              Debian 10 will likely ship 18.3.3000, so it is majorly not needed there until next decade

Freezes goes like this:

• [2019-Jan-12] Transition freeze
              • [2019-Feb-12] Soft freeze (no new packages, no re-entry, 10-day migrations)
              • [2019-Mar-12] Full freeze
              And 19.0.0 if it will be like 18.0.0 released at 27. march, basically there is no need to touch anything in next 6 months, but then again during freeze could be in experimental some 19.x.x mesoned mesa, so that is it.

But if they planning to remove it now, that would certainly be a problem... otherwise there is no reason to be in hurry
              Last edited by dungeon; 18 September 2018, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                Please be aware, that there are also *non-unixoid* systems that compile and make use of Mesa. Those systems generally have a limited *unixoid* environment similar to cygwin (or less than that). The world is not *unix only*.
                meson will be a lot better for them than autotools then. I assume they can run Python?

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
                  meson will be a lot better for them than autotools then.
                  I for sure belive this but ...

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
                  I assume they can run Python?
                  There is no python on this (particular) operating system afaic. The people lack a lot of ressources to get things ported properly. The "basic" *unix* kind of environment (... with autotools) has been evolved over the past decade and the stuff *works*. A bunch of open source programs work, SDL works, some Games got ported. A lot of native old programs from former time etc. But no python. CMake exists. Crosscompiling things on a Host (like Linux) works too

So yes I agree! Moving to meson means less portability

Comment

He, he, what inventing as most developers are not inventors at all, just pusherers and simple robots Particulary when employed they just push what boss says, preferably in shortest time you know as time is money

Here they push Meson because of more permissive licence, they push LLVM same way, you know cos companies hate copyleft so here autotools is planned for execution too SDL changed license once author started dealing with Valve, starting from ver 2.0 also to be permissive and so on... On github there was for years continous silent attacks against copylefted software, many projects were asked (and in a very funny way to me) to just change license so that anybody could use it more easely... and finally Microsoft came by and grabs it all

There are no real inventions here anymore, it is mostly pushing and many tiefs who lie non strop Basically companies paying pusherers who are in the genocide process of killing gnus in this or another way, just like discoverers of america who ignored native people, killed free buffaloes and so on.... as you see this process is very old invention just revived
                    Last edited by dungeon; 18 September 2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

How many cores do you use?
                      Only four, no SMT, it's a i5-3570k. In case it's relevant, rest of system specs are 16GB and SATA SSD.

Originally posted by geearf View Post

It about halved build time for me (I use ccache too).
                      That's a very nice improvement. What hardware are you using?
                      Last edited by aaahaaap; 21 September 2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X