Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Adreno 600 Series Support Submitted For Linux 4.19

Phoronix: Qualcomm Adreno 600 Series Support Submitted For Linux 4.19

Following the main DRM features update for Linux 4.19, a secondary pull request has now been submitted that offers up the nine thousand lines of code for bringing up the Adreno 600 series support for supporting the very latest Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's your impression of Qualcomm's own mainlining efforts aside from your own graphics work? Like, I personally can't remember a time when they mainlined to linux instead of Android and ahead of market launch... But admittedly I haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

What's your impression of Qualcomm's own mainlining efforts aside from your own graphics work? Like, I personally can't remember a time when they mainlined to linux instead of Android and ahead of market launch... But admittedly I haven't been paying attention.
      There seems to be a slow shift over last couple years. Initially it was upstream support for 96boards (which is complete for db410c, which includes camera, audio, video dec/enc, display, gpu, wifi, etc.. and pretty far along for db820c).. but this was mostly upstreaming after the fact (ie. after the chip already came out). Afaiu, qcom+google+linaro have been working on upstreaming sdm845 since before the chip was released.

Last few linaro connect's they've been presenting on progress of getting various functionality upstream. I think they realize their old model of having 1-2mloc delta from upstream wasn't sustainable when it came to moving things to a new kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
        There seems to be a slow shift over last couple years...I think they realize their old model of having 1-2mloc delta from upstream wasn't sustainable when it came to moving things to a new kernel.
        Yeah I guess hoping they've seen the light of GNU is a bit too much

Originally posted by robclark View Post
        Afaiu, qcom+google+linaro have been working on upstreaming sdm845 since before the chip was released.
        Sounds about right. Though I have no idea how Qualcomm plans to market >$600 12" laptops that perform circa the ~$300 range solely on the merit of battery life... I guess if it's light enough it would work out as a good pdf reader or something... Ok I admit I'm not their customer

Regardless, good to know they're getting more FOSS now that they're started to release semi-laptop grade SoCs. Hopefully you'll have lots of bug submissions stacking up in the near future
        Last edited by c117152; 17 August 2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

Yeah I guess hoping they've seen the light of GNU is a bit too much

Sounds about right. Though I have no idea how Qualcomm plans to market >$600 12" laptops that perform circa the ~$300 range solely on the merit of battery life... I guess if it's light enough it would work out as a good pdf reader or something... Ok I admit I'm not their customer

Regardless, good to know they're getting more FOSS now that they're started to release semi-laptop grade SoCs. Hopefully you'll have lots of bug submissions stacking up in the near future
          I would expect an arm laptop to be fanless which means slimmer, less noise, less heat. Surely all recent phones have had somekind of thermal issues, but given the larger dissipation area of a laptop it should not have these kind of problems I hope

Comment

I hope that older SoCs like the Snapdragon 800 will be coming eventually.

Comment

Working...
            X