Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Lands OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

Phoronix: RadeonSI Lands OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

Thanks to work done over the past few months by AMD's Marek Olšák on improving Mesa's OpenGL compatibility profile support and then today carried over the final mile by Valve's Timothy Arceri, Mesa 18.2 now exposes OpenGL 3.3 under the compatibility context...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any hope for r600?

Comment

Thanks Marek

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Any hope for r600?
        I don't think AMD is interested in doing anything on r600 anymore, but the good news is that the compat profile support seems to be pretty simple to support in drivers so there probably is some hope. Most of the work seems to be going into shared code in core mesa or the gallium state tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I don't think AMD is interested in doing anything on r600 anymore, but the good news is that the compat profile support seems to be pretty simple to support in drivers so there probably is some hope. Most of the work seems to be going into shared code in core mesa or the gallium state tracker.
          The bad news is the good news is old news and the blocker for compatibility profiles was always lack of interest in open source community and the thought that this is more of a matter of incorrectly designed games than a driver problem

Comment

Mesa is becoming more professional with each day passed. I foresee some of the big players start using it on windos as well as a primary driver.

Comment

So does this mean AMDGPU-PRO is pretty much redundant now?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                I don't see OpenGL 4 compatibility profile yet, so the answer is no.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                  It doesn't really work like that. Compatibility profile relies a lot on driver specific behavior and it is not guaranteed that AMDGPU-PRO OpenGL driver and Mesa will work the same way. Everyone needs to test whether Mesa works well on their software before moving to it in production systems.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

The bad news is the good news is old news and the blocker for compatibility profiles was always lack of interest in open source community and the thought that this is more of a matter of incorrectly designed games than a driver problem
                    Well, it -IS- incorrectly designed games. But the fact of the matter is that incorrectly designed games do in fact exist. Work arounds need to be made, it's that simple.

Comment

Working...
                    X