Mesa's VirGL For OpenGL Within VMs Now Supports Tessellation Shaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's VirGL For OpenGL Within VMs Now Supports Tessellation Shaders

Phoronix: Mesa's VirGL For OpenGL Within VMs Now Supports Tessellation Shaders

It was just days ago that the VirGL driver stack -- which is used for supporting OpenGL hardware acceleration within guest VMs that is passed onto the host's driver -- picked up FP64 support while now its latest addition is ARB_tessellation_shader support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love the progress they're doing on Virgil, can't wait for this to be fixed: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/597030/
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I wish Debian maintainers would build qemu with virgl enabled already. That feature request has been open for two years and a half now with no progress in sight. It's necessary to build it every time manually.

Comment

Now we just need "Virkan". Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          I wish Debian maintainers would build qemu with virgl enabled already. That feature request has been open for two years and a half now with no progress in sight. It's necessary to build it every time manually.
          That's one of the reasons why I don't use Debian anymore. It always happens, for every kind of package.
          Nowadays if you cannot move at a fast pace you're out of the market.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            It was just pushed to the unstable branch . Next upload to unstable will probably have virgl enabled.

Comment

Doesn't look like it was pushed to unstable yet, but it was pushed to the source repo.

So next time the package will be built, it should include virgl at last!

Comment

I wonder how long until this stack will be inserted on top of all non-complete drivers as a means to complete them.

Another thing that would be nice would be to create a version that can run on OpenGL ES and another version that can run on Vulkan.

The later one would make life a lot easier for driver developers if they only have to build a Vulkan driver.
                Last edited by Ruediix; 23 June 2018, 04:52 AM. Reason: Moar comments

Comment

Originally posted by Ruediix View Post
                  I wonder how long until this stack will be inserted on top of all non-complete drivers as a means to complete them.
                  The guest relies on the features of the host driver, so no, there is no way you can get magically gain functionality by using virgl.

Comment

Working...
                  X