Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onicsis
    replied
    This is the price that the users will have to pay for acceptance of having of a monopolistic OS which they -users- do not own, no matter how it is called Windows, Android and in this case Mac OS. Microsoft, Google, Apple etc,from their position and in a dictatorial manner, do what heck they want with their proprietary OS's abusing users how they own interests dictate.

In moments, unexpectedly everything whole system can became a complete mess if the owner company decides so overnight. I used Mac OS for years and it's unfix-able in many cases strange UI, bizarre mouse or keyboard. There was a time when Apple used to innovate all the time, but that's no longer the case anymore now.

Leave a comment:

• RavFX
    replied
    Originally posted by jurgel View Post
    Not a good news for Linux for sure,
    Devs support their game in Linux because they can use OpenGL both in Macs and Linux, and I think many of devs support Linux because it's easy to port from Mac.
    But now if OpenGL future is dead in MacOS, they won't even bother to use OpenGL anymore.
    So devs will only use Direct X for Windows and Metal for Mac.
    The little number of Linux gamer is not enough for the effort.
    Or they could just use Vulkan to release on Windows and Linux in the same time. I mean, when they get new dev to replace directx dev. Vulkan make sense because it's the API that provide the biggest amount of users without making engine that use more than one API. Plus they can even use MoltenVK so One API for all "PC" including Apple one. But Apple get a wrapper instead of native but it will still work anyway, they get less performance like they are use to becose of there crappy OpenGL support. Plus Linux don't need Native games, Wine with Nine(DX9) and DXVK(DX11) run fast enough.. So much that some (lot) of Native Apple games work way worse than running the Windows version on Linux.

Apple is losing again. Acolytes are still buying so they can lower the quality of the product while leaving the same price. Just look at there latest offering lol, Macbook keyboard that die for nothing that can't be replaced (riveted) and iMac Pro that can't be fixed by apple (product that you send for repair to the apple store is returned more damaged)

Leave a comment:

• TheOne
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    This is what I don't get.

How can an almost 1$ TRILLION company not invest a couple of fucking developers to make a wrapper to keep their "legacy technologies" alive at least for "legacy applications", and yet we have a couple of developers working for free doing it with DirectX? (I'm talking about VK9 and DXVK, not vkd3d)
    when they're in fact close to 1$ trillion market cap, surely you can hire one or two fucking guys to maintain it and it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket for them?!??
    I agree 100%
    Last edited by TheOne; 05 June 2018, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boboviz
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Does anyone need reminding that the single biggest OpenCL vendor still, AMD, is on OpenCL 1.2 and not OpenCL 2.x and that the HSA initiative was a bust? We seen 24 months go by and OpenCL has yet to have a fully flushed out OpenCL 1.2 kernel supported solution that isn't part of the Pro Stack. Even the Pro stack is stuck on 1.2.
    Only a note: the biggest OpenCl vendor is Intel. And Intel supports OpenCl 2.x.

but it's not surprising the President of Khronos being from Nvidia have been dragging their feet to support OpenCL since its inception: they only want CUDA.
    Yes, i think it's time to change the President of Khronos with a third-parts guy, like Simon McIntosh-Smith

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
    MoltenGL might be the solution here, no?
    The solution is to stop buying Apple products.

And if you were dumb enough to already own one, just stop upgrading macOS at the last version where all your applications still work.

Leave a comment:

• boboviz
    replied
    Uh, if i'm not wrong all big "graphical suite"' vendors (apple born with these kind of app) like Adobe, Corel, Autodesk use OpenCl in their products with great results. So, now?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    On the other hand the issues I have to fight with weekly on my Linux machine would be absolutely unacceptable in a work environment. That's why I only use Linux at home.
    What is this distro, Ubuntu? Please tell so we can avoid it

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by dragorth View Post
    So, I wonder if Maya will be written to use Metal, or if Apple will have to continue supporting OpenGL for a long time.
    Or they'll help writing an OpenGL wrapper, either by contributing to a new ANGLE back-end for Metal or something new.

Leave a comment:

• elldekaa
    replied
    MoltenGL might be the solution here, no?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Is time for some capable soul to write an OpenGL implementation atop Vulkan...
    This is what I don't get.

How can an almost 1$ TRILLION company not invest a couple of fucking developers to make a wrapper to keep their "legacy technologies" alive at least for "legacy applications", and yet we have a couple of developers working for free doing it with DirectX? (I'm talking about VK9 and DXVK, not vkd3d)

Keep in mind they did say it will stop working in the future, meaning they've no plans for a wrapper, full stop. I cannot for the life of me justify this, not now, not ever, regardless of my deep hatred for this company's policies.

I know Apple is a pathetic company, but come on. Why the fuck is Apple so adamant on removing stuff? They act as if it's a huge burden to maintain a wrapper, as if they have a bunch of coders in a garage working on it and very limited resources, when they're in fact close to 1$ trillion market cap, surely you can hire one or two fucking guys to maintain it and it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket for them?!??

And despite this there's always people who will find a reason to defend this sorry excuse of a company, no matter how hard it screws them over (not just in software, also in price gouging and so on).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X