Apple Deprecates OpenGL & OpenCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just a pet peeve (although it mostly peeves me when people are talking about AMD)...

Yes Apple has a market cap of almost $1 trillion, but market cap has nothing to do with the company's ability to spend money on <what you want>. It just indicates what the funds invested in the company over time (probably a MUCH smaller amount) are worth today to the investors.

Even revenues (~$250B/yr for Apple) don't mean much, since most of that money has to go right back out the door again for cost of goods sold, R&D and other expenses.

The only dollar value worth citing is net profit, although in Apple's case that is also pretty significant (~$45B/yr).

So not disagreeing with your post, just the numbers
    Thanks, learned something new.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
      Serious things like scientific research, engineering CAD/CAM/CAE etc which require heavy usage of OpenGL or OpenCL it's never not done on a Mac.
      Macs are used only by hipsters who hunt pokemons with their stupid iPhones, not real aliens using powerful radiotelecopes
      Actually the Macs have a niche in astronomy IIRC, I did read that. I guess Mac OS X replaced the Unix workstations of the 90s and late 80s. While high end CAD and engineering moved to Windows, scientific visualization software and such were at home on a graphical Unix, where you also find matlab, gnuplot, the command line, other math packages, plus you get both Latex and Office.

I think this would be exactly the kind of technical users, for which a command prompt that shows a $ or % is a familiar thing and who had a megapixel on their screen already when we had a 640x480 CRT, but whose job never included being a sysadmin.
      What if Sun was bought by someone else than the bad guy hyenas from the Lion King? Perhaps Solaris on x86-64 would be another option for this line of work.

-----------

I'm dumbfounded by this announcement, in particular the garbage can Macintosh was fucked up (no hard drives! only one SSD!) so as to have two GCN 1.0 GPUs, no single GPU option, such that the second one was only really usable to run OpenCL.
      Last edited by grok; 05 June 2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

We will see. Metal is already fairly widespread due to iOS apps, like it or not. Many major engines have supported it for a while. There is a big user base. Since many games predominantly use DirectX, the question for those devs will be whether to additionally support Vulkan or Metal. I am not sure if Vulkan will be more attractive to devs since the additional market it can address is the relatively small linux gaming market and possibly Android smartphones. Metal serves Mac users and iPhones. Things might be different, if windows devs were to choose Vulkan instead of DX in the first place. That, however, is far from certain and mostly speculation at this point. Also, there is still MoltenVK in that case. Since Apple has started introducing more capable GPU hardware and is actively promoting VR, consumer targeted graphics such as games probably won't simply vanish on the Mac.

That being said, as a (non-stupid) long time Mac user I would've liked to see Apple continuing or even extending support for cross-platform APIs since I value the current interoperability with linux macOS offers. The code, I am developing on my machine runs on HPCs just as well. The same goes for scientific tools like ParaView and such. Those will be the things to watch out for when OpenGL and OpenCL support dwindles.
        Oh come on... seriously? Let me clue you in on a little secret, as far as developers are concerned... Vulkan's primary target is... Windows, and there is plenty of interest in Vulkan. All the engines anyone cares about are right here in this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Game_engines . Also in terms of the compatibility that actually matters unlike Mac or Linux support... The Nintendo Switch supports Vulkan, and while it's not confirmed, there've been rumours floating around for some time that the Playstation 5 will support Vulkan.

Sure there aren't a lot of Vulkan games right now, but games don't grow on trees overnight and effort is going to be targeted at new games not old ones. It'll be another 2-3 years before the AAA's have had a full development cycle while Vulkan has existed, and only after that will we be able to decide: "Has Vulkan been a success?"

There is no competition between the obscure Apple Specific API known as Metal and the important for Windows gaming API known as Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          I personally had to remind Ton to contact AMD about how to port Metal 2 API in Blender seeing as AMD has already ported their Renderer for Blender on MacOS using Metal 2 API.
          Honestly? After the long struggle (i.e. long time API deprecation) to port Blender to OpenGL 3.3 Apple just comes by and says "Hey guys, we will remove OpenGL in the future"... the very last thing Blender should do is to support this behaviour. What comes next? Apple drops Metal like they dropping OpenCL and then everyone has to rewrite their application again?

If anything they should only use Vulkan and give macOS the MoltenVK port. Putting so much effort in a "one OS only" Metal port just because Apple wants to save some money by dropping APIs is just plain wrong. Apple is the multi billion dollar company here... not Blender.
          Last edited by -MacNuke-; 06 June 2018, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boboviz View Post
            Uh, if i'm not wrong all big "graphical suite"' vendors (apple born with these kind of app) like Adobe, Corel, Autodesk use OpenCl in their products with great results. So, now?
            I don't think they really did put OpenCL to good use in their products. In fact, in many benchmarks I've seen for video editing software on macOS CUDA comes first, the CPU second and OpenCL a distant third.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Oh come on... seriously? Let me clue you in on a little secret, as far as developers are concerned... Vulkan's primary target is... Windows, and there is plenty of interest in Vulkan. All the engines anyone cares about are right here in this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Game_engines . Also in terms of the compatibility that actually matters unlike Mac or Linux support... The Nintendo Switch supports Vulkan, and while it's not confirmed, there've been rumours floating around for some time that the Playstation 5 will support Vulkan.

Sure there aren't a lot of Vulkan games right now, but games don't grow on trees overnight and effort is going to be targeted at new games not old ones. It'll be another 2-3 years before the AAA's have had a full development cycle while Vulkan has existed, and only after that will we be able to decide: "Has Vulkan been a success?"

There is no competition between the obscure Apple Specific API known as Metal and the important for Windows gaming API known as Vulkan
              No need for the condescending tone but hey.. This is what happens on Linux boards, I guess. I hope, your crystal ball was clean when making such predictions. While Metal is no competition for any API used on Windows since it will never be available there, DX and Vulkan are definitely competing there and the outcome of that will have consequences on how developers think about cross-platform support.
              AFAIK all Windows Store apps are bound to DX. With MS now offering a version that only works with such apps, the future development in this regard is very uncertain. Also, the list of DX12 games is approximately as long (or rather short) as the List for Vulkan (refer to Wikipedia for a lack of a better ad-hoc source). Developers will choose the API that works best on their main target platform, which is Windows at the moment. Depending on MS's support and commitment, that might very well end up being DX, which offers the bonus of also working on XBox. Should that happen, Vulkan will "only" open the market for Linux and Android gaming, which both presumably aren't generating too much revenue when compared to their Apple counterparts. Metal will open the door to the iOS market (big already) and the desktop Mac market. So, like it or not, it is at the very least possible that we will end up with two proprietary APIs as the most used APIs in gaming.

That being said, of course I'd prefer it if everyone simply agreed on a cross-platform API (even though I don't really care about games, some scientific apps are cross-platform now and I'd like them to remain cross-platform. One popular, widespread and well-established example is ParaView).

Comment

OpenGL has a garbage performance on MacOS, so nothing of value was lost.

Comment

Congratulations to everybody who bought games for the Mac then. All these will become worthless when they go through with removing OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
                    Congratulations to everybody who bought games for the Mac then. All these will become worthless when they go through with removing OpenGL.
                    I think that applies to most Mac software.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
                      If they bought the game on Steam they are fine. 99% of the games for Mac will work in either Windows or Linux (or both).

The time they will spend on MacOS will just decrease.

Comment

Working...
                      X