• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      What great news!

Think this way:
      OpenGL games drop dead, ALL legacy non metal games will die. IT WILL piss off apple fan boy base. Some will say: enough is enough and will dump it all together. What alternative they have? And yeah, they wont come to windows.
      No. Apple fans will say wow, none of the apps I paid big $$$ for work any more, but it's Apple who is doing that, so it's, like, totally awesome! F*ck those losers with their backward compatibility and standard support, I don't want my computer to work, Apple is the future!

Comment

Top reason of Microsoft having almost all the market with Windows is backwards compatibility. Apple dropping crucial APIs and thus making anything older than a few years incompatible will cause a serious drop in Mac market share. Good riddance tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
          Apple's OpenGL movement was purely a John Carmack effect , nothing more.

id Software and Carmack were rockstars , Quake was the peak point of pc gaming and most importantly " slices on the cake was not splitted yet ".

So in a that kind of situation Carmack told " OpenGL is the way if you want me to release the game on Mac , including giving a speech about it on your conference "

Nothing with bankrupt or loving cross platform anyway. That was the fastest way to get benefit from existing beast.
          Wrong again... Carmac was just one of the many game developers who Apple consulted with in their effort to get more games on OSX and getting their OpenGL implementation up to scratch was what they overwhelmingly recommended and what made sense at the time as desktop was their #1 focus and the iPad was still some ideas on a whiteboard. Don't forget that Metal's "1.0" release was in 2014 while Vulkan didn't see it's 1.0 release until 2016

These days they have Metal which started out as a genuinely necessary addition for iOS as OpenGL ES just wasn't providing the low overhead needed when you want to do high end graphics on mobile without draining the battery excessively fast. So when they got this working well there really wasn't all that much to justify continuing to duplicating efforts.

Don't forget that Metal's "1.0" release was in 2014 while Vulkan didn't see it's 1.0 release until 2016.

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
          There was no reason for Metal at all. Apples OpenGL implementation was outdated, horribly slow and full of bugs and they did not even try to fix that. Even today Metal 2 can't compete with OpenGL 4.5...
          The fact that that Vulkan wasn't really even on the drawing board when Apple was already well underway with with Metal is enough to show that you really don't know what you're talking about. Metal was originally developed for iOS where the efficiency of low level APIs like it are most useful and it gave them a major edge that their competitors in said space are only really now catching up with.

Saying that Metal, a low level API with a feature set pretty damn similar to DX12 and Vulkan somehow supposedly can't compete with OpenGL again goes to show that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          No. Apple fans will say wow, none of the apps I paid big $$$ for work any more, but it's Apple who is doing that, so it's, like, totally awesome! F*ck those losers with their backward compatibility and standard support, I don't want my computer to work, Apple is the future!
          That may have been how they'd have reacted if this had happened when Jobs was still alive, but these days you can't even call them fanboys anymore and will complain about this kind of stuff. There's been an ever increasing dissatisfaction with Apple's leadership among them and Tim Cook in particular for the last few and they're right now justifiably annoyed about how 10.14 will end support for pre-2012 machines that aren't supported by Metal (probably so they can bake in more Metal-based hardware acceleration into the OS).
          Last edited by L_A_G; 05 June 2018, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Top reason of Microsoft having almost all the market with Windows is backwards compatibility. Apple dropping crucial APIs and thus making anything older than a few years incompatible will cause a serious drop in Mac market share. Good riddance tho.
            Are you assuming most Apple PCs aren't running Windows when doing anything noteworthy?

Nowadays there are like 5 professional programs that might require you to use MacOS only.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              But who cares, people who buy Apple products are stupid anyway. They deserve the vendor lock-in, walled garden and whatever cap Apple is doing these days against the users.
              I don't particularly enjoy this decision as well, but can we avoid useless comments like that? Some of the smartest people I know (mostly developers but also some designers) use exclusively macOS. Some people in their day jobs cannot afford to spend time fixing and configuring their OS, or are forced to use a proprietary OS because of compatibility with particular software, and that definitely does not make them stupid. If anything, comments like this paint the Linux community as a bunch of angry assholes.

Comment

Not a good news for Linux for sure,
                Devs support their game in Linux because they can use OpenGL both in Macs and Linux, and I think many of devs support Linux because it's easy to port from Mac.
                But now if OpenGL future is dead in MacOS, they won't even bother to use OpenGL anymore.
                So devs will only use Direct X for Windows and Metal for Mac.
                The little number of Linux gamer is not enough for the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                  Some people in their day jobs cannot afford to spend time fixing and configuring their OS, or are forced to use a proprietary OS because of compatibility with particular software, and that definitely does not make them stupid.
                  If you're talking of people at work (or because they need some software) they aren't the ones buying the device anyway so they aren't stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                    Some people in their day jobs cannot afford to spend time fixing and configuring their OS, or are forced to use a proprietary OS [...]
                    I tell you something.

I bought a MacBook Pro 13" (2010) back that time when it was updated. Thought getting a system that comes from one hand. The main intention was Java development. It ended up lasting exactly 2 months, then the HD died. I took it back to where I bought it and they took it to an german Apple Retailer (one of these repairing houses that got Apple branded). They returned the MacBook Pro with full of scratches in the casing.

I refused to take the MacBook Pro back in that shape and complained. It ended up infront of the court and my lawyer failed to explain the situation correctly infront of the judge. Meanwhile I have been having a shitload of telephone calls with the store where I bought it, had telephone calls with that Apple Retailer (now out of business) and Apple themself. No one gave a flying fuck for it. The entire situation took over 1 year - without returning the MacBook Pro.

Cash yes! Customer care afterwards: No!

I ended up buying one of these plastic notebooks from Lenovo for 1/4 of the price that Apple charged restored my Linux environment on it and never looked back. This crappy underpowered notebook from Lenovo - 1/4 of the price is now 6-7 years old. Never had any issues. Never ran into a problem. Gets the job done.

So much for the terminology "smart".

You are not smart by showing the most expensive hardware on planet to your friends. You are smart if you can value the price. You are smart if you get your job done. You are smart by definition if you can get your job done even on a calculator. The machine is just a tool like a hammer, scissors, screw driver etc.

During the time using OSX (that time), the OS caused a lot of freezes during boot up and boot down. Random freezes there and here. And something that totally pissed me off was those hidden .DS_Store files.
                    Last edited by Candy; 05 June 2018, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jurgel View Post
                      So devs will only use Direct X for Windows and Metal for Mac.
                      More like won't support Mac alltogether anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X