Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What great news!

Think this way:
    OpenGL games drop dead, ALL legacy non metal games will die. IT WILL piss off apple fan boy base. Some will say: enough is enough and will dump it all together. What alternative they have? And yeah, they wont come to windows.

Comment

OpenGL...meh. But OpenCL...that bites! I hear Nvidia chuckling in the background.

Comment

Pretty sure if MoltenVK starts looking like a more inviting option than Metal, Apple will ban its usage in all applications sold through their store.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

It would be one thing if they were moving on from OpenGL to Vulkan since that actually is an upgrade. But dumping OpenCL? OpenCL ain't in maintenance mode like OpenGL. It's still quite active and being developed.
          Well, Apple isn't particularly successful in HPC (high performance computing) :-) According to Phoronix benchmarks their perf sucks.

Comment

Is this done for any reason other than vendor lock-in?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              What great news!

Think this way:
              OpenGL games drop dead, ALL legacy non metal games will die. IT WILL piss off apple fan boy base. Some will say: enough is enough and will dump it all together. What alternative they have? And yeah, they wont come to windows.
              Yeah sure. As if a fanatic muslim or christian will ever change religion...

Comment

OpenCL is folded into Metal API. It's both Graphics primitive and Open Compute Language in one.

You know, what Khronos wants to do with Vulkan.

Comment

so what is going to happen with Webgl?

Comment

I deprecated Apple long time ago. My MacBookPro (2010) is covering dust on one of my shelves. Never looked back. OSX was one of the horrid operating systems that I've ever used.

Comment

Lol. I was already laughing at the escuses of my mac user friends who find ridiculous reasons for why it is ok they have to plug several connectors over connectors in order to plug ethernet, headphone, power, screen, etc. I can't wait for reasons why it is ok they won't be able to use these so many open source programs that only work with opengl.

Though possibly 'legacy' will still mean 'works well' and will stay like that forever (ie support never dropped).

Comment

Working...
                      X