• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    PackRat

• PackRat
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Does anyone need reminding that the single biggest OpenCL vendor still, AMD, is on OpenCL 1.2 and not OpenCL 2.x and that the HSA initiative was a bust? We seen 24 months go by and OpenCL has yet to have a fully flushed out OpenCL 1.2 kernel supported solution that isn't part of the Pro Stack. Even the Pro stack is stuck on 1.2.

So yes, Khronos, AMD, IBM, etc., have all been dragging their feet, but it's not surprising the President of Khronos being from Nvidia have been dragging their feet to support OpenCL since its inception: they only want CUDA. So bitch somewhere else. 99% of you folks don't run OS X so why bitch?
    Nobody here talking about os x: "Apple quietly confirmed they are deprecating OpenGL and OpenCL within macOS."- phoronix

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    OpenGL...meh. But OpenCL...that bites! I hear Nvidia chuckling in the background.
    Funny, I actually think the exact opposite of everything you said:
    OpenGL is used by soooo many applications. Ditching that could render Mac OS unusable for anyone who isn't using the latest of everything, and most games will be rendered unplayable (or should I say... not rendered at all *badum tss*).
    OpenCL, meanwhile, isn't that important to Mac users. You could probably count on both hands the amount of Mac-compatible programs with functioning and useful OpenCL support.
    Nvidia, meanwhile, will be shut out entirely, since they aren't on good terms with Apple at the moment. It doesn't appear there will be any new Mac products with Nvidia GPUs any time soon, so CUDA is going to be on its way out, and I'm not sure Nvidia is going to be willing to put so much time and effort into Metal when their Mac userbase will be steadily shrinking.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Does anyone need reminding that the single biggest OpenCL vendor still, AMD, is on OpenCL 1.2 and not OpenCL 2.x and that the HSA initiative was a bust? We seen 24 months go by and OpenCL has yet to have a fully flushed out OpenCL 1.2 kernel supported solution that isn't part of the Pro Stack. Even the Pro stack is stuck on 1.2.

So yes, Khronos, AMD, IBM, etc., have all been dragging their feet, but it's not surprising the President of Khronos being from Nvidia have been dragging their feet to support OpenCL since its inception: they only want CUDA. So bitch somewhere else. 99% of you folks don't run OS X so why bitch?

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Apple was pretty well into profitability when they helped create OpenCL and Steve Jobs had already returned them to profitability when they really went for OpenGL in the really early 2000s. You really couldn't be much further from the truth if you tried. Apple's embrace of open APIs and source had mostly to do with original NeXT developers like Avie Tevanian who were into it and had much to say in Apple's software development efforts. These days Tevanian & Co are mostly gone and the end result is what you can see.

However considering what Metal is capable of and how it was basically developed specifically because the Khronos group was dragging it's proverbial heels I can understand why Apple is depricating OpenGL in favor of Metal. For them the situation essentially boils down to three options, either duplicate effort and continue to support competing APIs, screw over third party developers that have chosen to pick support your proprietary API created at a time when there was no open API like it or then depricate some APIs you haven't properly maintained for years as you've been focusing on your own new APIs.

I wish they had embraced OpenCL 2 and Vulkan, but considering the circumstances I'm not going to fault them for choosing the way they did. Let's hope the Vulkan-over-Metal API continues delivering the kinds of results we've seen with DOTA 2.
    Apple created OpenCL, hence they own the trademark. They gave it to Khronos to further expand it and make it an industry wide standard.

Leave a comment:

• DMJC

• DMJC
    replied
    Bye bye Maya, and Warcraft 3... Oh and Starcraft 2.

Leave a comment:

• dragorth

• dragorth
    replied
    So, I wonder if Maya will be written to use Metal, or if Apple will have to continue supporting OpenGL for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    so what is going to happen with Webgl?
    http://angleproject.org/ will simply get a Metal back-end.

Leave a comment:

• illwieckz

• illwieckz
    replied
    Originally posted by mannerov View Post
    Lol. I was already laughing at the escuses of my mac user friends who find ridiculous reasons for why it is ok they have to plug several connectors over connectors in order to plug ethernet, headphone, power, screen, etc.
    That's so true, and that's exactly what's going on on the software part with things like MoltenVk: wrappers above wrappers etc. (^_^)'

Leave a comment:

• Leopard

• Leopard
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Apple was pretty well into profitability when they helped create OpenCL and Steve Jobs had already returned them to profitability when they really went for OpenGL in the really early 2000s. You really couldn't be much further from the truth if you tried. Apple's embrace of open APIs and source had mostly to do with original NeXT developers like Avie Tevanian who were into it and had much to say in Apple's software development efforts. These days Tevanian & Co are mostly gone and the end result is what you can see.

However considering what Metal is capable of and how it was basically developed specifically because the Khronos group was dragging it's proverbial heels I can understand why Apple is depricating OpenGL in favor of Metal. For them the situation essentially boils down to three options, either duplicate effort and continue to support competing APIs, screw over third party developers that have chosen to pick support your proprietary API created at a time when there was no open API like it or then depricate some APIs you haven't properly maintained for years as you've been focusing on your own new APIs.

I wish they had embraced OpenCL 2 and Vulkan, but considering the circumstances I'm not going to fault them for choosing the way they did. Let's hope the Vulkan-over-Metal API continues delivering the kinds of results we've seen with DOTA 2.
    Apple's OpenGL movement was purely a John Carmack effect , nothing more.

id Software and Carmack were rockstars , Quake was the peak point of pc gaming and most importantly " slices on the cake was not splitted yet ".

So in a that kind of situation Carmack told " OpenGL is the way if you want me to release the game on Mac , including giving a speech about it on your conference "

Nothing with bankrupt or loving cross platform anyway. That was the fastest way to get benefit from existing beast.

Leave a comment:

• TheOne

• TheOne
    replied
    Is time for some capable soul to write an OpenGL implementation atop Vulkan...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X