• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    starshipeleven
    Premium Supporter

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    Some people in their day jobs cannot afford to spend time fixing and configuring their OS, or are forced to use a proprietary OS because of compatibility with particular software, and that definitely does not make them stupid.
    If you're talking of people at work (or because they need some software) they aren't the ones buying the device anyway so they aren't stupid.

Leave a comment:

• jurgel

• jurgel
    replied
    Not a good news for Linux for sure,
    Devs support their game in Linux because they can use OpenGL both in Macs and Linux, and I think many of devs support Linux because it's easy to port from Mac.
    But now if OpenGL future is dead in MacOS, they won't even bother to use OpenGL anymore.
    So devs will only use Direct X for Windows and Metal for Mac.
    The little number of Linux gamer is not enough for the effort.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    But who cares, people who buy Apple products are stupid anyway. They deserve the vendor lock-in, walled garden and whatever cap Apple is doing these days against the users.
    I don't particularly enjoy this decision as well, but can we avoid useless comments like that? Some of the smartest people I know (mostly developers but also some designers) use exclusively macOS. Some people in their day jobs cannot afford to spend time fixing and configuring their OS, or are forced to use a proprietary OS because of compatibility with particular software, and that definitely does not make them stupid. If anything, comments like this paint the Linux community as a bunch of angry assholes.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    Premium Supporter

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Top reason of Microsoft having almost all the market with Windows is backwards compatibility. Apple dropping crucial APIs and thus making anything older than a few years incompatible will cause a serious drop in Mac market share. Good riddance tho.
    Are you assuming most Apple PCs aren't running Windows when doing anything noteworthy?

Nowadays there are like 5 professional programs that might require you to use MacOS only.

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Leopard View Post
    Apple's OpenGL movement was purely a John Carmack effect , nothing more.

id Software and Carmack were rockstars , Quake was the peak point of pc gaming and most importantly " slices on the cake was not splitted yet ".

So in a that kind of situation Carmack told " OpenGL is the way if you want me to release the game on Mac , including giving a speech about it on your conference "

Nothing with bankrupt or loving cross platform anyway. That was the fastest way to get benefit from existing beast.
    Wrong again... Carmac was just one of the many game developers who Apple consulted with in their effort to get more games on OSX and getting their OpenGL implementation up to scratch was what they overwhelmingly recommended and what made sense at the time as desktop was their #1 focus and the iPad was still some ideas on a whiteboard. Don't forget that Metal's "1.0" release was in 2014 while Vulkan didn't see it's 1.0 release until 2016

These days they have Metal which started out as a genuinely necessary addition for iOS as OpenGL ES just wasn't providing the low overhead needed when you want to do high end graphics on mobile without draining the battery excessively fast. So when they got this working well there really wasn't all that much to justify continuing to duplicating efforts.

Don't forget that Metal's "1.0" release was in 2014 while Vulkan didn't see it's 1.0 release until 2016.

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
    There was no reason for Metal at all. Apples OpenGL implementation was outdated, horribly slow and full of bugs and they did not even try to fix that. Even today Metal 2 can't compete with OpenGL 4.5...
    The fact that that Vulkan wasn't really even on the drawing board when Apple was already well underway with with Metal is enough to show that you really don't know what you're talking about. Metal was originally developed for iOS where the efficiency of low level APIs like it are most useful and it gave them a major edge that their competitors in said space are only really now catching up with.

Saying that Metal, a low level API with a feature set pretty damn similar to DX12 and Vulkan somehow supposedly can't compete with OpenGL again goes to show that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    No. Apple fans will say wow, none of the apps I paid big $$$ for work any more, but it's Apple who is doing that, so it's, like, totally awesome! F*ck those losers with their backward compatibility and standard support, I don't want my computer to work, Apple is the future!
    That may have been how they'd have reacted if this had happened when Jobs was still alive, but these days you can't even call them fanboys anymore and will complain about this kind of stuff. There's been an ever increasing dissatisfaction with Apple's leadership among them and Tim Cook in particular for the last few and they're right now justifiably annoyed about how 10.14 will end support for pre-2012 machines that aren't supported by Metal (probably so they can bake in more Metal-based hardware acceleration into the OS).
    L_A_G
    Last edited by L_A_G; 05 June 2018, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eydee

• eydee
    replied
    Top reason of Microsoft having almost all the market with Windows is backwards compatibility. Apple dropping crucial APIs and thus making anything older than a few years incompatible will cause a serious drop in Mac market share. Good riddance tho.

Leave a comment:

• jacob

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post
    What great news!

Think this way:
    OpenGL games drop dead, ALL legacy non metal games will die. IT WILL piss off apple fan boy base. Some will say: enough is enough and will dump it all together. What alternative they have? And yeah, they wont come to windows.
    No. Apple fans will say wow, none of the apps I paid big $$$ for work any more, but it's Apple who is doing that, so it's, like, totally awesome! F*ck those losers with their backward compatibility and standard support, I don't want my computer to work, Apple is the future!

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism

• ElectricPrism
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
    Apple adopted open standards because they were near to bankruptcy at that time. Open Standards helped them to get at least some kind of support. Now Apple is very successful and they can pull out their old vendor-lockin strategy again.

Apple in all it's old glory again.
    Yeah, and like the old days, they will soon be reduced to being a complete joke of the industry....

I never bought an Apple product in my life, and have always "campaigned" against their garbage. Apple is one of the most greedy/unethical corporations in the world. Yes, i know corporations are supposed to make profits, that's their job, yada yada. But there are ethical ways to profit and unethical ways to exploit your clients. Apple is of the second kind.

Apple is exploiting psychological manipulation and marketing tricks in order to fool people into assigning more value to their products than they deserve, and thus sell cheaper hardware for more money. Ever seen those huge queues for every new Apple product in the news? Yes, marketing trick. It's a sham to manufacture hype.

You don't get to be filthy rich by offering value to consumers. The more profitable a company is, the more it steals from the clients. Because profits are income minus cost of producing. So when Apple gets record profits all the time, it is not because they sell value to customers, it is because they take cheap shit and sell them at a premium. Oh and they exploit poor workers in China, so much so that they had to put safety nets outside the factories to prevent suicides. LOL.

People who thought that Apple was "the good guys", didn't pay attention. Like Google. It seems these days these giant behemoths have become more blatant and more people can see their evil now, but i swear 10-15 years ago you couldn't stop hearing praise for these companies...

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Why should we care? Apple is going downhill fast anyway. They always produced shitty overpriced products, and these days they can't even manufacture hype anymore. No one cares about Apple anymore, outside of the usual more-money-than-brains types who still use them as status symbols.

Did they deprecate features? So what? Great news, that means more developers will stop using them and supporting them faster. Good riddance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X