Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 18.2 Due For Release In August

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesa 18.2 Due For Release In August

    Phoronix: Mesa 18.2 Due For Release In August

    While Mesa 18.1 just officially shipped last week, Mesa 18.2 as next quarter's open-source 3D OpenGL/Vulkan graphics driver stack update is scheduled for release in mid-August...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lease-Schedule

  • #2
    Mesa could benefit from more frequent (monthly or bi-weekly?) releases of development versions. Sure, you can always build latest master from source, but packages updated more frequently can benefit many Linux users.

    Comment


    • #3
      You've answered yourself
      A simple release wouldn't help, since distros would still need to package it. If it doesn't you'd still have to build mesa yourself. In which case replacing tar -xf with git pull is a really minor change.

      edit: Also master sometimes has random bugs. The average user wouldn't like that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Does anyone know if Padoka MESA Stable is still being actively updated by Paulo? I sent him a message through Launchpad but haven't heard back yet.

        The semi-official Ubuntu-X haven't updated theirs either for Xenial since MESA 17.3.3. Does anyone know if that's also still getting updated or will be updated?

        Both unfortunately don't even have anything available for Bionic.

        Comment


        • #5
          Frustrating that as the major distro supported for games, Ubuntu has no official supported way that is idiot proof to continually update mesa for the average gamer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            You've answered yourself
            A simple release wouldn't help, since distros would still need to package it.
            Packaging isn't hard once there is versioned tag. It can be automated. The alternative is to package master snapshot, but most distros don't' like that. Mesa can add more regression testing for monthly / weekly releases.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
              Does anyone know if Padoka MESA Stable is still being actively updated by Paulo? I sent him a message through Launchpad but haven't heard back yet.

              The semi-official Ubuntu-X haven't updated theirs either for Xenial since MESA 17.3.3. Does anyone know if that's also still getting updated or will be updated?

              Both unfortunately don't even have anything available for Bionic.
              Not enough man power to keep all archives updated all the time, I guess. For bionic you can use unstable:
              https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...ve/ubuntu/mesa

              Or you stick to:
              https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...phics-drivers/
              Last edited by sverris; 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shmerl View Post

                Packaging isn't hard once there is versioned tag. It can be automated. The alternative is to package master snapshot, but most distros don't' like that. Mesa can add more regression testing for monthly / weekly releases.
                I'd find it questionable as to whether Mesa devs have sufficient hardware coverage for that. That's the entire point why you are using opensource. Use git snapshots, find bugs, make devs comfortable enough to roll releases.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  I'd find it questionable as to whether Mesa devs have sufficient hardware coverage for that. That's the entire point why you are using opensource. Use git snapshots, find bugs, make devs comfortable enough to roll releases.
                  Then hardware should be crowdsourced. I'm sure there are enough Mesa users to help with that. Open source should not equal low quality or lack of regression testing. It feels like a lot of Mesa bugs could be caught automatically.
                  Last edited by shmerl; 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                    Does anyone know if Padoka MESA Stable is still being actively updated
                    Looks like Mesa 18.1.0-0~b~padoka0 got added to Padoka Stable PPA since your comment.

                    X.org 1.20 hasn't made it in though.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X