AMD Kaveri Gets A Big Performance Boost With Mesa 18.2 & AMDGPU DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post

The problem is that B350 Mini ITX costs 100+ like Intel's Zxxx Mini ITX, wile other Intel Mini ITX like H110 cost only 50. So for my pc its ok but when i need 10 of them guess what i will buy.
    So buy mATX for the same price, most of these are just 5.6 cm longer than mini ITX which on 10 mobos in worse case is that you might need about slighly more than half a meter longer room

You didn't said you want to use pico-PSUs, some sort of DC or such there but Flex instead, so why these must be mini ITX... do you already have ITX cases and PSUs for these or something?

Also you didn't sound as you wanna save any power... so really no idea what are these 10 mini ITX overclockable but cheapest mobos really about

OC, small and cheapest somehow can't be in the same sentence ,Cheap mini ITX have more sense when you also wanna save power, say customers wich aim for these GE APU models... but there idea is obvious to save power as much as possible, so not overclockable, locked...

ITX is not standard on Desktop (how could ITX be a standard with ATX connector?), it is kind of special phenomenon that people wanna superb OC results there but also that to be cheapest of all How do you think in any normal situation to achive that to be standard as cheapest is usually what could be cheapest to be produced, lower quality components or so.

OC itself was always and always will be enthusiasts matter, OC is never cheap neither in this nor in any another ways
    Last edited by dungeon; 12 May 2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Funny, because I am ;-)
      And yes, this person would face serious consequences in my company.
      Serious consequences for bugs? Do I understand it correctly?

Comment

NVidia does not make APUs (other than Tegra, I guess) and so doesn't need to resolve SBIOS and chipset issues, which seem to have been the biggest factor here. AFAICS some of the issues were driver-related but getting the latest SBIOS / AGESA into the motherboards seems to have been a key part of the solution as well.

If you read through the thread the pattern seems to be:

- latest kernels weren't available in distro builds
        - once kernels with HW support were being used stability issues remained
        - once latest SBIOSes were released & adopted most stability problems went away
        - a couple of issues remained and could then be isolated and addressed with GPU driver fixes

If you want to draw conclusions about graphics drivers it's probably best to compare apples to apples, or in this case dGPUs to dGPUs.

I'm not saying the other issues were not real problems for our customers, just that trying to draw conclusions about GPU drivers by lumping in all of the CPU/chipset/SBIOS issues in for one vendor but not the other isn't likely to give you a valid result.

EDIT - this is really wierd... whenever I try to edit this post the content gets back-dated to a much older version.
        Nice list of excuses, you probably master it whole day.. - im not ok with that.. it should be ready and done at launch day, or launch should be postponed.

Nvidia dont do APU, because has no x86 license, but what there are doing is much better - on drivers level.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          Serious consequences for bugs? Do I understand it correctly?
          He should better not mention the companies name doesn't seem to be a good place to work at.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Strictly speaking 2 chipsets do not and 4 do, but as far as I can see the 2 smallest chipsets (X300/A300) are not being used much yet.
            I have here a Lenovo ThinkCentre M715 Tiny, which uses the B300 chipset (which I understand is identical to the A300). It is not mini-ITX though.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Ah, OK. Isn't some of the low price from the H110 mobo a function of it being last-generation though ? You can get some low-priced last-gen AMD mini-ITX boards as well. My understanding was that H310 was the current low-end Intel chipset and those seem to be equally rare. I do see what you mean about the pricing differences though.
            Cheapest current-gen Socket 1151 Intel mini-ITX is the ASUS Prime H310I-Plus which is in stock for ~75 EUR here.
            Cheapest AM4 are the Biostar X370GTN and ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX for ~105 EUR.

I think AM4 mini-ITX has been almost completely neglected by AMD and their partners at launch (only Biostar had a mobo ready, and not enough produced to satisfy demand) and even now need to be dragged screaming to release something.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

So buy mATX for the same price, most of these are just 5.6 cm longer than mini ITX which on 10 mobos in worse case is that you might need about slighly more than half a meter longer room

You didn't said you want to use pico-PSUs, some sort of DC or such there but Flex instead, so why these must be mini ITX... do you already have ITX cases and PSUs for these or something?

Also you didn't sound as you wanna save any power... so really no idea what are these 10 mini ITX overclockable but cheapest mobos really about

OC, small and cheapest somehow can't be in the same sentence ,Cheap mini ITX have more sense when you also wanna save power, say customers wich aim for these GE APU models... but there idea is obvious to save power as much as possible, so not overclockable, locked...

ITX is not standard on Desktop (how could ITX be a standard with ATX connector?), it is kind of special phenomenon that people wanna superb OC results there but also that to be cheapest of all How do you think in any normal situation to achive that to be standard as cheapest is usually what could be cheapest to be produced, lower quality components or so.

OC itself was always and always will be enthusiasts matter, OC is never cheap neither in this nor in any another ways
              Except that the cases i use they cannot take mATX, only Mini ITX.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                In related news, AMD now plans to disable amdgpu DC on Kaveri by default: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/022021.html
                Because they have no hardware to test LVDS/VGA. Which apparently wasn't a problem before amdgpu DC or with radeon?
                fok dat shit, wonder how much it would cost to send a gigabyte motherboard+athlon APU with Kaveri from the Eurpoean Union to the United States of Fascism. Odd, thought, that he can't simply ask someone else at AMD for this hardware, like.. they made tons of those and they don't have a spare around?

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                  fok dat shit, wonder how much it would cost to send a gigabyte motherboard+athlon APU with Kaveri from the Eurpoean Union to the United States of Fascism. Odd, thought, that he can't simply ask someone else at AMD for this hardware, like.. they made tons of those and they don't have a spare around?
                  Those things are already happening - the point is that while hardware is being sourced and the issues are being investigated we disabled DC by default to minimize user problems since the symptoms are pretty drastic (no image at boot IIRC).
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    To add to what bridgman wrote, it seems that there is no way for amdgpu DC to fall back gracefully to non-DC in case any VGA or LVDS outputs are present. So AMD has to disable DC by default for chips that can potentially have those connections. But any user who has such a chip and knows that they are not going to use VGA or LVDS can manually enable it via kernel/module parameter.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      To add to what bridgman wrote, it seems that there is no way for amdgpu DC to fall back gracefully to non-DC in case any VGA or LVDS outputs are present. So AMD has to disable DC by default for chips that can potentially have those connections. But any user who has such a chip and knows that they are not going to use VGA or LVDS can manually enable it via kernel/module parameter.
                      For me DC on Kaveri also does not work via HDMI, as it results in pink colour. At least one other user has also submitted a bugreport.

Comment

Working...
                      X