Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
    The bitstream was just frozen...
    It's finished but the bitstream is not frozen yet.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
      And IIRC enconding is currently only done in the OMX state stracker, not in the VA state tracker
      Both OMX and VAAPI support encode. This particular set of patches is for decode however. You can see what chips support what features here:

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Given that Polaris has a VP9 decoder in hardware, I'm guessing this is for the encoder side?
        Polaris does not have VP9 decoder in hardware, just consult RadeonFeature page:

You can read it like this : Tonga introduced 4K, Carrizo introduced HEVC decode, Stoney introduced 10bit, Polaris introduced HEVC encode, Raven Ridge introduced VP9 decode...

Future VCN would probably introducing first VP9 encode, then AV1 decode, then AV1 encode and so on a so forth
        Last edited by dungeon; 10 April 2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Here is a description of how RPi decodes H.265/HEVC:
          https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...12148#p1112148
          Where's the code for this? The post mentions MMAL and ffmpeg, but the MMAL code in upstream ffmpeg only does mpeg2/mpeg4/h264/vc1.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Where's the code for this? The post mentions MMAL and ffmpeg, but the MMAL code in upstream ffmpeg only does mpeg2/mpeg4/h264/vc1.
            It is integrated in various distros like LibreELEC. You can also get the patches and build ffmpeg for the distro of your choice:

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Wikipedia says there is support for VP9 in UVD 6.3 and so in Polaris GPUs:

Does anybody know what kind of support? Is it only partial hardware decoding or what?

Comment

Originally posted by dc_coder_84 View Post

Wikipedia says there is support for VP9 in UVD 6.3 and so in Polaris GPUs:
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie..._Decoder#UVD_6

Does anybody know what kind of support? Is it only partial hardware decoding or what?
                I know They offlading it to the GPU, instead of just CPU.

If you look what article linked there, you will find sentences like:

• VP9 Decode Acceleration(9): 4K 60Hz GPU-Accelerated Video Streaming enabled on supported Google™ Chrome web browsers.
                accelerated VP9 videos on sites like YouTube
                That means it is not just CPU used, but is likely offloaded to GPU using §D Engine, so shaders.... (all involving probably some driver profiles, since they are mentioning targets there )

Now, only on one of these three links wording is not so clear and that is about Pro WX:

Based on the Polaris architecture, the new Radeon Pro WX Series graphics cards employ the latest advances in AMD’s 4th generation Graphics Core Next architecture, uncompromising 4K video decode and encode support including HEVC2 and VP9 and next generation display support including DisplayPort 1.4-HDR3 and HDMI™ 2.0, all built on a power efficient 14nm FinFET manufacturing technology. Importantly, the professional graphics solutions are fully compatible with open source software through GPUOpen.
                https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-rele...2016jul25.aspx

Now i am not sure too, but only about Radeon Pro WX... that is Polaris base but who knows agd5f maybe these Pro WX have different decoder than consumer parts or something

But i don't think so, it is probably just not so clear wording

OK, i found description for Vega (and with desired wording ) in whitepaper (page 13/14):

"Vega" 10 naturally includes the latest versions of AMD's video encode and decode acceleration engines, as well.
                Like "Polaris", "Vega" offers hardware-based decode of HEVC/H.265 main10 profile videos at resolutions up to
                3840x2160 at 60Hz, with 10-bit color for HDR content. Dedicated decoding of the H.264 format is also supported
                at up to 4K and 60Hz. "Vega" can also decode the VP9 format at resolutions up to 3840x2160 using a hybrid
                approach where the video and shader engines collaborate to offload work from the CPU.
                http://radeon.com/_downloads/vega-wh...er-11.6.17.pdf

If Vega can't do it with UVD 7.0, how could Polaris with UVD 6.3 do it. So, It is so called "hybrid" in both cases
                Last edited by dungeon; 10 April 2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for the info Are there any programs under Linux available where I can benefit from this "hybrid" approach? My CPU is too slow for 4k@60Hz Youtube videos. I tested with Firefox, Chrome and mpv but without success. I have a Radeon RX 460 graphics card and Xubuntu 18.04 64 bit.

Comment

It doesn't exist in Mesa's VAAPI driver so no app can use it. Even on Windows it's not exposed via normal D3D11VA/DXVA2 APIs, FF & Chrome use something else.
                    FF' VP9 hybrid Decoder however is broken Spaghetti Code, it gives me higher CPU usage than Software Decoding...

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

You can read it like this : Tonga introduced 4K, Carrizo introduced HEVC decode, Stoney introduced 10bit, Polaris introduced HEVC encode, Raven Ridge introduced VP9 decode...

Future VCN would probably introducing first VP9 encode, then AV1 decode, then AV1 encode and so on a so forth
                      Yeah, I got the information from Wikipedia, but if I went deeper I'd see that it ain't there.

Comment

Working...
                      X