Valve & RADV Developers Are Topping Contributions To Mesa This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve & RADV Developers Are Topping Contributions To Mesa This Year

Phoronix: Valve & RADV Developers Are Topping Contributions To Mesa This Year

With the first quarter of 2018 now in the books, I ran GitStats on the current Mesa code-base as of this morning to see how things are looking for the year to date...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fascinating statistics. It just proves that open source development isn't really "free". Both the Linux kernel and open source drivers benefit enormously from paid 9-to-5 developers contributing during work hours.

Comment

And yet I see no Nvidia. For shame. Maybe we need to sign up for GPP?

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
        Fascinating statistics. It just proves that open source development isn't really "free". Both the Linux kernel and open source drivers benefit enormously from paid 9-to-5 developers contributing during work hours.
        No it is perfectly "free". I don't understand what your issue is. Open source is open source. Nowhere in the GPL it says that developers aren't supposed to be hired to write code...

Obviously the hard parts of the code like kernel and mesa are better left to dedicated professionals than 18 year old script monkeys. This does not make the code any less open source though...

Comment

I think you are confusing "free" with unpaid.

A lot of those paid developers started as "free" contributors and were hired. A win-win in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

No it is perfectly "free". I don't understand what your issue is. Open source is open source. Nowhere in the GPL it says that developers aren't supposed to be hired to write code...

Obviously the hard parts of the code like kernel and mesa are better left to dedicated professionals than 18 year old script monkeys. This does not make the code any less open source though...
            I don't have an issue. I'm happy that this is the case. Open source software needs to be treated as a product and not a hobby, so that quality rises and the project stays focused on a useful set of features.

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            I think you are confusing "free" with unpaid.

A lot of those paid developers started as "free" contributors and were hired. A win-win in my book.
            Not confusing it but using it intentionally in that sense - precisely to reiterate the point that "free" software is not "unpaid". And yes, I agree that it is a win-win situation.

Comment

It just proves that open source development isn't really "free"
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre

Comment

Working...
              X