Mesa Developers Working To Figure Out How To Improve Their Release Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Developers Working To Figure Out How To Improve Their Release Process

Phoronix: Mesa Developers Working To Figure Out How To Improve Their Release Process

Following the very bumpy Mesa 17.3 releases, Mesa developers are currently discussing ideas for improving the release process moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

speaking of releases, when is 18.0 to be released

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      Feb 9th: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ry/000390.html

IOW, it's late and due out any day now...

Comment

Wait, they do releases on Fridays? That never works out well...

Comment

I think the 18.0 release got cancelled and they decided to wait for Vulkan 1.1 support to get finalized but didn't tell anyone because it had to be a secret. Although now that that's in, I'm not sure what the new schedule is.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think the 18.0 release got cancelled and they decided to wait for Vulkan 1.1 support to get finalized but didn't tell anyone because it had to be a secret. Although now that that's in, I'm not sure what the new schedule is.
            where did you hear that?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Since mesa do 4 releases per year, then expectation for a first release of a year is anywhere in a first quarter of a year . So Q1, which means anything up to end of this month is expected.
              Last edited by dungeon; 13 March 2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

where did you hear that?
                So for the record it was complete speculation. I have no sources, I'm just blindly guessing as to why the question about what happened to the release went unanswered on public channels - (i'm also guessing it may have been answered in private since there was no follow up). Plus there was talk when the initial 18.0 branch was made about whether there were enough features/changes done to warrant a release or if they should hold off longer.

If I am right, I suspect that the 18.0 branch will just be dropped entirely, and they'll start over again with an 18.1 rc1 sometime soon.

I could also be 100% wrong...
                Last edited by smitty3268; 13 March 2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

So for the record it was complete speculation. I have no sources, I'm just blindly guessing as to why the question about what happened to the release went unanswered on public channels - (i'm also guessing it may have been answered in private since there was no follow up). Plus there was talk when the initial 18.0 branch was made about whether there were enough features/changes done to warrant a release or if they should hold off longer.

If I am right, I suspect that the 18.0 branch will just be dropped entirely, and they'll start over again with an 18.1 rc1 sometime soon.

I could also be 100% wrong...
                  Some quality speculation there!

Comment

Some quality speculation there!
                    Thanks!

I guess I'm not very good at making it clear when I'm speculating, because that's the 2nd time in a couple months that people have taken my meanderings way more serious than they should have. I'll try to improve.

Comment

Working...
                    X