Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVD-Based HEVC Video Encoding Main Now Supported In Mesa 18.1

Phoronix: UVD-Based HEVC Video Encoding Main Now Supported In Mesa 18.1

Earlier this month AMD developers landed VCN-powered video encode support for the HEVC main format while now this has come to the UVD engine so it will work with pre-Raven GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the common frontend to take advantage of this ? VA-API ? Or yet another one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Elyotna View Post
      What is the common frontend to take advantage of this ? VA-API ? Or yet another one ?
      VAAPI yes, and also OpenMAX.

Comment

why is video encoding done on unified video DECODE

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          That's actually a great question. From everything I can see, the encoding is actually part of the VCE encoding hardware block. I suppose maybe the developers just decided to call it all the same name (UVD) in the code for some reason? Seems odd.

Comment

Man...my Bristol Ridge APU equipped desktop and laptop are looking at MESA 18.1 and Linux kernel 14.7 and going "Feed me Seymour, FEED ME !

Comment

Not sure, but I think UVD has been picking up some encode capabilities as part of evolution from UVD/VCE to the new VCN block in Raven.
              Test signature

Comment

It's a bummer that barely any (if any) front end software on GNU/Linux taps into AMD's hardware encoding as of yet. OBS does it on Windows only

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                  It's a bummer that barely any (if any) front end software on GNU/Linux taps into AMD's hardware encoding as of yet. OBS does it on Windows only
                  Yep, we need vaapi-encode for OBS and better performance of OBS in general really, really badly. It could easily be a great substitution for ReLive.

Comment

agd5f explained this r(oughly a month or more back) to me, at the same question, I just need to dig it out here in the forums... aaah...

But the newer UVDs aren't so unsimilar in en/de-code operation for some codecs so you can kind of use it backwards. (in my simple words)
                    This is also a reason why the newest GPUs/APUs do no longer have UVD+VCE but rather VCN (video core next).
                    So yes, AMD uses a unit that is called DE-coder also for a few EN-condings.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X