Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UVD-Based HEVC Video Encoding Main Now Supported In Mesa 18.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UVD-Based HEVC Video Encoding Main Now Supported In Mesa 18.1

    Phoronix: UVD-Based HEVC Video Encoding Main Now Supported In Mesa 18.1

    Earlier this month AMD developers landed VCN-powered video encode support for the HEVC main format while now this has come to the UVD engine so it will work with pre-Raven GPUs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Encode-In-Mesa

  • #2
    What is the common frontend to take advantage of this ? VA-API ? Or yet another one ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Elyotna View Post
      What is the common frontend to take advantage of this ? VA-API ? Or yet another one ?
      VAAPI yes, and also OpenMAX.

      Comment


      • #4
        why is video encoding done on unified video DECODE

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          why is video encoding done on unified video DECODE
          That's actually a great question. From everything I can see, the encoding is actually part of the VCE encoding hardware block. I suppose maybe the developers just decided to call it all the same name (UVD) in the code for some reason? Seems odd.

          Comment


          • #6
            Man...my Bristol Ridge APU equipped desktop and laptop are looking at MESA 18.1 and Linux kernel 14.7 and going "Feed me Seymour, FEED ME !

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Man...my Bristol Ridge APU equipped desktop and laptop are looking at MESA 18.1 and Linux kernel 14.7 and going "Feed me Seymour, FEED ME !
              No need to wait, those changes can be in the Oibaf Mesa git ppa already, see the changes file of mesa. Use the ~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-4.17-wip kernel. My distribution uses both: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                why is video encoding done on unified video DECODE
                Not sure, but I think UVD has been picking up some encode capabilities as part of evolution from UVD/VCE to the new VCN block in Raven.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's a bummer that barely any (if any) front end software on GNU/Linux taps into AMD's hardware encoding as of yet. OBS does it on Windows only

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    It's a bummer that barely any (if any) front end software on GNU/Linux taps into AMD's hardware encoding as of yet. OBS does it on Windows only
                    Yep, we need vaapi-encode for OBS and better performance of OBS in general really, really badly. It could easily be a great substitution for ReLive.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X