Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVD-Based HEVC Video Encoding Main Now Supported In Mesa 18.1

Phoronix: UVD-Based HEVC Video Encoding Main Now Supported In Mesa 18.1

Earlier this month AMD developers landed VCN-powered video encode support for the HEVC main format while now this has come to the UVD engine so it will work with pre-Raven GPUs...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Encode-In-Mesa

What is the common frontend to take advantage of this ? VA-API ? Or yet another one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Elyotna View Post
      What is the common frontend to take advantage of this ? VA-API ? Or yet another one ?
      VAAPI yes, and also OpenMAX.

Comment

why is video encoding done on unified video DECODE

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          That's actually a great question. From everything I can see, the encoding is actually part of the VCE encoding hardware block. I suppose maybe the developers just decided to call it all the same name (UVD) in the code for some reason? Seems odd.

Comment

Man...my Bristol Ridge APU equipped desktop and laptop are looking at MESA 18.1 and Linux kernel 14.7 and going "Feed me Seymour, FEED ME !

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Man...my Bristol Ridge APU equipped desktop and laptop are looking at MESA 18.1 and Linux kernel 14.7 and going "Feed me Seymour, FEED ME !
              No need to wait, those changes can be in the Oibaf Mesa git ppa already, see the changes file of mesa. Use the ~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-4.17-wip kernel. My distribution uses both: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                Not sure, but I think UVD has been picking up some encode capabilities as part of evolution from UVD/VCE to the new VCN block in Raven.

Comment

It's a bummer that barely any (if any) front end software on GNU/Linux taps into AMD's hardware encoding as of yet. OBS does it on Windows only

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    It's a bummer that barely any (if any) front end software on GNU/Linux taps into AMD's hardware encoding as of yet. OBS does it on Windows only
                    Yep, we need vaapi-encode for OBS and better performance of OBS in general really, really badly. It could easily be a great substitution for ReLive.

Comment

Working...
                    X