Mesa 18.1 Receives OpenGL 3.1 With ARB_compatibility For Gallium3D Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 18.1 Receives OpenGL 3.1 With ARB_compatibility For Gallium3D Drivers

Phoronix: Mesa 18.1 Receives OpenGL 3.1 With ARB_compatibility For Gallium3D Drivers

Going back to last October, Marek of AMD's open-source driver team has been working on ARB_compatibility support for Mesa with a focus on RadeonSI/Gallium3D. Today that work was finally merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

there are some non enterprise programs that will also benefit from this

Comment

ARB_compatibility is missing as an entry in https://mesamatrix.net/ Other extensions.

Comment

Very happy that this has made it into Mesa. Will be useful for modern id games running in WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
          Very happy that this has made it into Mesa. Will be useful for modern id games running in WINE.
          Don't they require a 4.x compatibility profile? If so I don't see how this helps.

Comment

Hopefully this is connected to the crashes I'm experiencing while overriding GL profile to 4.x, just a hope.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Don't they require a 4.x compatibility profile? If so I don't see how this helps.
              I think it's fairly obvious at this point that the plan is to extend the compat profile support further, and this is just the first step.

Comment

Several other programs like Minecraft and Chrome use the compat profile

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think it's fairly obvious at this point that the plan is to extend the compat profile support further, and this is just the first step.
                  It's not that obvious to me based on the email:

OpenGL 3.1 with ARB_compatibility is tiny since most of the work was done a long time ago.

This is not really a Compatibility profile because the first Compatibility profile starts at OpenGL 3.2, but it's fundamentally the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

It's not that obvious to me based on the email:
                    I doubt getting OpenGL 3.1 with a compat profile instead of 3.0 really makes much of a difference for anything, which is really more of why I felt that this was just a starting point from the beginning.

However, there was another message from Marek where he asked someone not to disable an extension under the compat profile because he'd like every extension in Mesa working under it eventually, so I do think the plan is to make it work for everything including GL4.6.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 04 March 2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X