Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 17.3 Remains Quite Buggy, Developer Calls For Better Handling In The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always have the best experience with the x-swat ppa. I generally use oibaf too, but I have to agree with others that it sometimes breaks things. Far less than the Padoka ppa, but it can sometimes nuke your system on next reboot if you're careless. When I want stability, x-swat works wonders for me. However, oibaf gives me the best performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      Mesa 17.3 also regressed badly for me: x11perf -putiamge10 is now only at 30% the throughput it was with 17.2.
      Bisected and reported, no response till now :/
      I couldn't find any bug reported for x11perf in that timeframe. Can you point me to it?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        Don´t mesa devs do "continious integration" and "regression testing" or something like that. I only know the buzz words, but I thought those things are pretty common these days. Maybe its more difficult with mesa because you need a lot of real hardware and can not test in virtual machines reliably. Thus maybe they should corporate with michael or a serious big linux distrubution that has such a hardware park to test before release. The Linux Foundation (in the name of security?) or crowdfunding somehow would need to cover the costs.

So yeah, I think mesa could be much more stable and this is not only since 17.3. If they do not test each driver at least once on one real machine and thus end up shipping a completely broken RADV, then something in their QA mindset / implementation is wrong.
        Mesa devs at Intel run tens of millions of tests continuously on all hardware shipped since 2007. That's why many people can run safely with drivers from the oibaf ppa

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          The worst part of Mesa is that it can freeze the hole system by just opening a game that previously worked fine. Though I thought most bugs get fixed before a final Mesa release, at least this was my hope. From my point of view what really needs a fix are the AMDGPU drivers, if I turn my monitor off and on again on Plasma-Wayland, the system crashes and the display stays black until reboot. Same issue appears if the monitor woke up from sleep.
          I think it is a valid point that Mesa needs some quality improvements.
          I wouldn't blame Mesa too fast for that, Wayland is in itself an a unstable mess so try plasma with X.org and see if it happens there.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            Mesa 17.3 also regressed badly for me: x11perf -putiamge10 is now only at 30% the throughput it was with 17.2.
            Bisected and reported, no response till now :/
            Uh, Cl...,

not that negative, please.
            I've tried to revert Marek's commit to get some current numbers on Polaris 20 for _Marek_.
            Need some more time to 'revert' it by hand...

Current (with commit):

x11perf - X11 performance program, version 1.2
            The X.Org Foundation server version 11906000 on :0
            from SunWave1
            Fri Feb 23 02:46:59 2018

Sync time adjustment is 0.0534 msecs.

800000 reps @ 0.0125 msec ( 80200.0/sec): PutImage 10x10 square
            800000 reps @ 0.0127 msec ( 78800.0/sec): PutImage 10x10 square
            800000 reps @ 0.0128 msec ( 78200.0/sec): PutImage 10x10 square
            800000 reps @ 0.0125 msec ( 80300.0/sec): PutImage 10x10 square
            800000 reps @ 0.0128 msec ( 78100.0/sec): PutImage 10x10 square
            4000000 trep @ 0.0126 msec ( 79100.0/sec): PutImage 10x10 square

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              The worst part of Mesa is that it can freeze the hole system by just opening a game that previously worked fine. Though I thought most bugs get fixed before a final Mesa release, at least this was my hope. From my point of view what really needs a fix are the AMDGPU drivers, if I turn my monitor off and on again on Plasma-Wayland, the system crashes and the display stays black until reboot. Same issue appears if the monitor woke up from sleep.
              I think it is a valid point that Mesa needs some quality improvements.
              Did you send a ticket on Bugzilla?

Comment

Originally posted by swizzler View Post

I couldn't find any bug reported for x11perf in that timeframe. Can you point me to it?

It's from Linuxhippy.

Comment

Originally posted by swizzler View Post

Mesa devs at Intel run tens of millions of tests continuously on all hardware shipped since 2007. That's why many people can run safely with drivers from the oibaf ppa
                  My SandyBridge (2012) begs to differ. Mesa is semi-broken in every other release.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    I think Mesa should be ditched from every distro, so that user could install what release he wants/needs.
                    for that you want the opposite: distros should provide selection of mesa releases. if your distro doesn't, choose better one

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                      Wayland is in itself an a unstable mess so try plasma with X.org
                      wayland is a specification. mess is plasma's implementation

Comment

Working...
                      X