Marek Updates OpenGL 3.1 ARB_compatibility Support For Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Dead Island works since the new binary format was added in 17.3 I think, Dying Light needs an override (will try and remember to post it when I get home)
    Dead Island created bazillion of files, and desktop distros run out of file handlers. But in kernel limits can be rised.
    Dying Light needs override for OpenGL version, as it will check only compatibility profile version (3.0 on my set up), and will break. Override Mesa to report 4.5 as compatibility profile, and Dying Light works without ANY issue. Devs where stupid to ask for compatibility profile, but they never ever use any of it's features. Ugggghhhhhh.

Both of them tested on Ubu 16.04, from Steam, AMD 580 with 4GB.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

Dead Island created bazillion of files, and desktop distros run out of file handlers. But in kernel limits can be rised.
      Dying Light needs override for OpenGL version, as it will check only compatibility profile version (3.0 on my set up), and will break. Override Mesa to report 4.5 as compatibility profile, and Dying Light works without ANY issue. Devs where stupid to ask for compatibility profile, but they never ever use any of it's features. Ugggghhhhhh.

Both of them tested on Ubu 16.04, from Steam, AMD 580 with 4GB.
      I think it's just 4.5 that need to be forced, don't think you need to make it compatibility (from memory)

As for the files that's effectively the shader cache, it used to segfault for me when it couldn't create them, now it doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Dead Island works since the new binary format was added in 17.3 I think, Dying Light needs an override (will try and remember to post it when I get home)
        Yes, I know about the compatibility override, it works on Ubuntu and some other distros apparently, but fails to launch properly on Arch. Apparently it works fine with the closed source Nvidia drivers on Arch, but doesn't work with AMD+mesa. All I get is a black screen with a white loading bar and then it segfaults. I'm not sure if it's an incompatible library causing the issue or what.

Comment

It's not just crashing on Arch I've seen people mentioning the same issue on at least Gentoo as well, but so far only with the FOSS AMD drivers.

Comment

this will works with intel drivers too?

Comment

This is relevant to so many Linux games, too. Should have been squared away long ago.

Comment

Here's how I launch it:

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 GALLIUM_HUD=fps DRI_PRIME=1 %command%

It takes ages the first time whilst the white line at the bottom goes up, hang in there, game should work

EDIT: It would be nice if that override could be put into drirc so the game just works out the box
                Last edited by FireBurn; 15 February 2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I actually went to play Dying Light again last weekend. Fury X, Mesa 18.0.0-rc4 on Debian. I've had it working with Debian GNU/Linux + Mesa for a few months... but when I played it on the weekend I kept get a weird artifact right in the middle of the screen. It looked like a large QR code! My phone didn't recognise it as one though. lol

I tried playing the game for about half an hour, but I kept dying over and over again because I kept running into things straight ahead that I couldn't see. In the end I gave up and played something else. One day it'll work... probably when it runs under Wine...

Not sure currently if this was just something I had not noticed earlier as I hadn't played the game long enough (it takes a few minutes to show), if it's a regression in Mesa, or a regression in a game update.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    Maybe one day Mesa will becomes AMD's OpenGL implementation on Windows
                    why would you need this? what is wrong with linux? what is wrong with directx on windows?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      why would you need this? what is wrong with linux? what is wrong with directx on windows?
                      Some applications could work better with a combination of the Open Source drivers on Windows.
                      Windows users also want the Open Source drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X