Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Updates OpenGL 3.1 ARB_compatibility Support For Mesa

Phoronix: Marek Updates OpenGL 3.1 ARB_compatibility Support For Mesa

Last October well known open-source AMD driver developer Marek Olšák began work on OpenGL compatibility profile support for Mesa. This work is about OpenGL 3.1 with ARB_compatibility support, something generally relevant for workstation OpenGL users and one of the few remaining advantages of AMD's current proprietary OpenGL driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"generally relevant for workstation OpenGL users"... yeah... and games....

Comment

Yep, theres a bunch of games that still require it. For example I can't get Rage or Wolfenstein TNO properly work without some hacky patches and even then Rage is completely fubar. Luckily DOOM runs really nice in Vulkan, because OpenGL is a no go. Then you have games like Dead Island and Dying Light that have workarounds although I can't get the latter to work on Arch because... who knows *hits head against wall*.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
        Yep, theres a bunch of games that still require it. For example I can't get Rage or Wolfenstein TNO properly work without some hacky patches and even then Rage is completely fubar. Luckily DOOM runs really nice in Vulkan, because OpenGL is a no go. Then you have games like Dead Island and Dying Light that have workarounds although I can't get the latter to work on Arch because... who knows *hits head against wall*.
        Yep, same problems here.

Comment

hen you have games like Dead Island and Dying Light that have workarounds although I can't get the latter to work on Arch because... who knows *hits head against wall*.
          Tell me about it, a few of us have tried working that out. It still remains a mystery!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            Very good News ... So we will get rid of the Closed source Driver soon.
            The sooner mesa can be used in all cases instead of the closed amd opengl, the better. With the opening of ROCm/OpenCL, and AMDVLK, this leaves just the opengl component as the only real thing holding back the viability of 100% open source AMDGPU stack.

Comment

Maybe one day Mesa will becomes AMD's OpenGL implementation on Windows and then... maybe RADV too?

Comment

This iirc also affects some older games which used compatibility contexts instead of core contexts

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  Maybe one day Mesa will becomes AMD's OpenGL implementation on Windows and then... maybe RADV too?
                  That would likely require OpenGL and Vulkan completely obsoleting DirectX, among other things. It would be awesome, but I doubt that it'll happen anytime soon.

Comment

Dead Island works since the new binary format was added in 17.3 I think, Dying Light needs an override (will try and remember to post it when I get home)

Comment

Working...
                    X