The Linux Graphics Stack Gets Further Meson-ized: Now With Libdrm Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dos1 View Post

Everything is better than Autotools. What's disappointing though is introducing yet another build system with no obvious advantages over other modern build systems.
    When I first used cmake I couldn't figure out if it was an improvement over autotools, or just replacing one set of problems with another. Haven't used meson yet but it would be hard not to be better

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post

When I first used cmake I couldn't figure out if it was an improvement over autotools, or just replacing one set of problems with another. Haven't used meson yet but it would be hard not to be better
      Yep, CMake syntax is blindingly ugly and verbose. Autotools is almost better than it in some ways.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
        Yep, CMake syntax is blindingly ugly and verbose. Autotools is almost better than it in some ways.
        Have you *really* used modern CMake? It has been already a lot better than 2.x mess for a while, it got lots of syntax improvements. Meson still has lots of rough edges around cross-compilation, while CMake makes it almost effortless, and also utilizes Ninja well. The only thing Meson actually brings to the table is different language.

Comment

Working...
        X