Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Latest Nouveau Developer Posts Updated NIR Code

Phoronix: Red Hat's Latest Nouveau Developer Posts Updated NIR Code

Not only is RadeonSI working on NIR support but Red Hat has begun working on NIR support for the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" driver as part of a compute effort and possible Vulkan support in the future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if R600 will be next...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      It could be done, I guess Evergreen and newer can support a subset of the Vulkan specs. It would just need somebody to do it. But r600 hardware drivers are mostly feature complete so I doubt it will happen.

Comment

It would be a shame to waste what little developer resources the Open Source "Community" has on that... getting brand new features working on 10 year old hardware is need of a niche of a niche of niche [ad infinitum] audience.

That hardware was not designed for current use cases, and is being phased out anyway.
        It also works nicely if you use it for what it was meant for, so no new features should really be a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It could be done, I guess Evergreen and newer can support a subset of the Vulkan specs. It would just need somebody to do it. But r600 hardware drivers are mostly feature complete so I doubt it will happen.
          NIR works for all i965 hardware, it has nothing to do with Vulkan, except that the mesa vulkan drivers use it as their IR too
          Last edited by FireBurn; 05 January 2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

NIR works for all i965 hardware, it has nothing to do with Vulkan, except that the mesa vulkan drivers use it as their IR too
            hence the point.

Comment

Ive been contemplating it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
                It also works nicely if you use it for what it was meant for, so no new features should really be a non-issue.
                It was originally meant for being used with fglrx, and fglrx no longer works in modern distributions. Open support is still behind fglrx, so added features at this point cannot be considered "new features". It's a decade-long attempt of catching up. Once R600 is in feature parity with long-dead fglrx, then it can be considered "finished", and actual new features unnecessary.

Comment

when red hat's latest r600 developer gets tired of radv next time

Comment

Working...
                  X