Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau DRM Changes Being Worked On For Linux 4.16

Phoronix: Nouveau DRM Changes Being Worked On For Linux 4.16

Ben Skeggs of Red Hat has been working on a few Nouveau DRM changes for the next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have only one question. Is the current state of Nouveau capable of doing the following:
    1. Typical desktop computing tasks
    2. Accelerating Gnome 3 / Plasma 5 desktop Wayland sessions
    3. Watching H264/HEVC/VP8/VP9 encoded videos
    4. Performing a live desktop stream at 1080p
    at 1440p without performance issues on a low-end Pascal card like the GT1030?

If the answer is yes, it's good enough for me at this point of time.

Comment

Redundancy:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      There are a few NVIDIA secure boot related commits in recent days. There are a few NVIDIA secure boot related commits in recent days that appear necessitated

Comment

Sonadow
        According to the Feature Matrix, https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/ (Pascal is NV130 on the table, click on that to see the codenames list) :

The hardware decoders for Maxwell and Pascal are not usable and none has yet looked into it.

The feature matrix does not talk about the features to stream desktop, I suspect it does not support that either because to use them you need access to hardware encoders, which aren't even mentioned in the table at all. But if it lacks decoding support I doubt it can use the encoders. Of course you can stream your desktop with other software using CPU instead.

Comment

Long story short: Experience with Nouveau and Pascal cards isn't good enough (I'm with GTX 1070 on Arch). Either use proprietary driver or buy different hardware.

Comment

^Yeah, that. A fanless GT1030 might be fun to play with if experimental reclocking support gets extended from Max2 to Pascal.

Comment

I have a Lenovo AIO with a Nvidia GT720A, which I guess is a Kepler NVE0?, which is showing mostly green on the feature table, except for obviously power management.

Still, I get errors related to the device on a recent Linux distro (Fedora 27). Grepping the message log for nouveau gives:

nouveau 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (000 -> 0003)
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: NVIDIA GF117 (ed7000a2)
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: bios: version 75.17.80.00.07
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fd: 1024 MiB DDR3
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: volt: coudn't find speedo value, volting not possible
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: bus: MMIO read of 00000000 FAULT at 612004 [ IBUS ]
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: VRAM: 1024 MiB
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: GART: 1048576 MiB
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to TMDS table invalid
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: DCB version 4.0
              nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: MM: using COPY0 for buffer copies
              [drm] Initialized nouveau 1.3.1 20120801 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 1

So.. No volting, MMIO read error and TMDS table error.

Comment

I would like to test Nouveau, but it's unusable on hybrid systems. I can't run anything on Nvidia card by DRI_PRIME cause of error. I hope the will improve it.

Comment

Working...
                X