NVIDIA Sends Out Signed Firmware Images For GP108 Pascal GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
    Hmm? I thought the title on this one described the article pretty well, didn't seem like clickbait at all.
    NVIDIA GPUs need more than the basic bringup firmware they released.

Without the firmware for power management, NVIDIA GPUs are barely dumb 2D display cards.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Even latest live Arch/Manjaro live images die at boot with Nouveau: unsupported chipset. No firmware helps there, as long as the Nouveau package isn't there either.
      Not entirely sure if it'd help(should do if you have laptop with iGPU with the nvidia card) but I had to figure this out to get VMs working(I think when booting VM with UEFI instead of BIOS), community forums for Manjaro were not helpful even when devs of Manjaro chimed in. I found that it was their driver detection systemd script(not that I have anything against systemd). Disabling this as a boot param would let X11 handle driver detection/setup and let me boot into the live image/install. I know that it has worked for users that had the problem with their laptops with an iGPU available. I believe the issue was the systemd script they have was trying to fallback to VESA which only supports BIOS not UEFI(FBDEV I think was the one that works for this, openSUSE would boot and switch to this if nouveau wasn't supported).

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Not entirely sure if it'd help(should do if you have laptop with iGPU with the nvidia card) but I had to figure this out to get VMs working(I think when booting VM with UEFI instead of BIOS), community forums for Manjaro were not helpful even when devs of Manjaro chimed in. I found that it was their driver detection systemd script(not that I have anything against systemd). Disabling this as a boot param would let X11 handle driver detection/setup and let me boot into the live image/install. I know that it has worked for users that had the problem with their laptops with an iGPU available. I believe the issue was the systemd script they have was trying to fallback to VESA which only supports BIOS not UEFI(FBDEV I think was the one that works for this, openSUSE would boot and switch to this if nouveau wasn't supported).
        usually you want to use efifb as the fallback on efi systems.

Comment

Anyone found a way yet how to crack or bypass firmware signing?

Comment

Working...
          X