NVIDIA's Open-Source Christmas: Experimental Allocator Driver For Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Open-Source Christmas: Experimental Allocator Driver For Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Open-Source Christmas: Experimental Allocator Driver For Nouveau

NVIDIA has done an open-source code drop to end out 2017. It's not as exciting as many would have hoped for in providing Nouveau GPU re-clocking abilities, any improvements to the signed firmware situation, or an open-source Vulkan driver, but there is now an experimental Nouveau allocator to implement their proposed generic device allocator library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not as exciting as many would have hoped for
    It's still Nvidia we're talking about - given how little they care about OSS, even them releasing as much as a Hello World program as open-source would be exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
      It's still Nvidia we're talking about - given how little they care about OSS, even them releasing as much as a Hello World program as open-source would be exciting.
      One could also see it as just another attempt of them to push their specific API into the kernel after their EGL streams idea didn't fly with the open source devs.

Comment

Can UDMA be used as a backend for GBM? If not, then this may end up being like the EGLStreams situation...
        Last edited by tildearrow; 20 December 2017, 05:36 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Is a UDMA to GBM library possible? If not, then this may end up being like the EGLStreams situation...
          I'm now posting a
          "fuck you NVIDIA!"
          just in case.

Comment

There is no excuse for no signed firmware blob situation. A week or month after release: ok lazy. But not a year or two. That is just showing a big middle finger to the one source / Linux community. They do not want their customers to own and use their cards how we see fit. All register specs should be open. I will continue what i have done for over a decade: not recommend Nvidia; to anyone, …

Comment

Wayland works well on Intel and AMD... they must offer a supperior solution. Otherwise I don't think this will see wide adoption. And we do not need yet again another implementation of something that works well.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

One could also see it as just another attempt of them to push their specific API into the kernel after their EGL streams idea didn't fly with the open source devs.
                I believe it is about functionality itself that is important for performance, which is something NV cares about, including on Linux which is used on several of NV's computers and boards.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

AMD has just pushed half a kernel into the kernel despite it's 8% market share. That's bloatware for 92%. So, what if nvidia pushes something too? Does the world end?

Comment

I state that I have nothing against the companies that have to earn, but I have an "old" Nvidia I say never again!
                    Let's leave the mess every time you have to install an Nvidia driver, but at least help the open Nouveau driver, we still have a driver today whose acceleration support is experimental and we are in 2017. Is not Nvidia interested in Linux? Well then let it be, we users can do without Nvidia!

Comment

Working...
                    X