Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau DRM Changes Queued For Linux 4.15

Phoronix: Nouveau DRM Changes Queued For Linux 4.15

The Nouveau DRM kernel driver changes have now been submitted and pulled into DRM-Next for Linux 4.15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LT;DR - do not support / buy Nvidia GPUs for use with open source systems.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      LT;DR - do not support / buy Nvidia GPUs for use with open source systems.
      why the hateful comment?

I mean sure, if you want proper OpenSource support you should most likely buy AMD or Intel, but your comment is so out of context that it seems to be totally misplaced. If that would be some article about Nvidia not helping out or big troubles the Nouveau project isn't able to solve, then it would have made sense, but not like this.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

why the hateful comment?

I mean sure, if you want proper OpenSource support you should most likely buy AMD or Intel, but your comment is so out of context that it seems to be totally misplaced. If that would be some article about Nvidia not helping out or big troubles the Nouveau project isn't able to solve, then it would have made sense, but not like this.
        The guys who work on Nouveau are doing miracle work. The only reason recent hardware is not well supported is because NVIDIA is just a terrible company regarding FOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

The guys who work on Nouveau are doing miracle work. The only reason recent hardware is not well supported is because NVIDIA is just a terrible company regarding FOSS.
          yeah, I am one of them. Just wondering what brings somebody to randomly post such comments.

Comment

If that would be some article about Nvidia not helping out or big troubles the Nouveau project isn't able to solve, then it would have made sense, but not like this.
            Read the article: "[...] this in part is still held up by NVIDIA on not providing all the necessary signed firmware bits [...]".

Comment

I think nouveau can be useful in case you want to buy an older, second-hand graphics card from Kepler or Maxwell v1 generation but don't want to handle the proprietary driver. Some of these cards still resp. already perform decent, like the 650 or 750 series.

It's a matter of choice, and nouveau increases the amount of choices there are. Thank you for that!

Comment

yeah, I am one of them. Just wondering what brings somebody to randomly post such comments.
                Because the internet generally imposes no repercussions on anything you comment on or post. It allows people to anonymously say things that they would otherwise not say to your face.

Comment

I unfortunately find myself on my workstation (desktop) an Nvidia geforce 315, I could use proprietary drivers (340) on my openSUSE, but I prefer Nouveau drivers. I do not need to play, SuperTuxKart works fine. So .... fuck you Nvidia!

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post

Because the internet generally imposes no repercussions on anything you comment on or post. It allows people to anonymously say things that they would otherwise not say to your face.
                    even in this case I would prefer if that somebody tells me that he simply wanted to troll. I don't mind that at all. But it might be even that this person has a bug which wasn't fixed yet or any other valid reason to be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                    X