Projects You Can Help With For Advancing Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
    could you please write a Nouveau vulkan driver? Many thanks for that.
    I take it you're one of those people who says "how about you get up on the stage?" when someone criticizes a singer for doing a poor job, meanwhile failing to realize that it isn't the critic who deemed himself/herself good enough to be a performer. You're allowed to be critical of something you are not an expert in. You're allowed to be critical of something you do not partake in yourself, as long as you have a reasonable understanding of the situation. That doesn't mean you're right, but it isn't as unjustified as you imply, either.

Despite Arlie doing a good job with RADV, I still feel Nouveau was in greater need of his resources and expertise, hence my criticism. Intel has open-source Vulkan support. AMD claims they're working on it, but, I'm sure the priority of it has been set so low to the point of abandonment because of RADV. Nvidia only has a closed version. There were no plans in sight to support open-source Vulkan drivers for Nouveau. Keep in mind: I don't care about having open-source drivers. I don't use Nvidia on any of my Linux PCs. If I were to use Nvidia, I wouldn't use Nouveau. Meanwhile, I do use AMD open-source drivers, and I have RADV installed. So despite that I favor something that hurts me and benefits something I will likely never use myself, perhaps you should understand my interest is for the community as a whole, rather than just myself.

Comment

Does nouveau have any support for converting PTX code generated by LLVM to binaries? If not, I'd suggest that someone work on that one if we're ever interested in OpenCL on Nouveau. Clover is driver agnostic and can compile CL programs through LLVM which has a PTX back end. The libclc project, which provides the OpenCL building function library already supports generating PTX as well.

So if someone can implement PTX->binary for Nouveau, that'd be enough for some level of CL support.

Of course, someone could also pick up Pierre Moureau's work from earlier this year to add spir-v support to clover for nouveau as well...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I take it you're one of those people who says "how about you get up on the stage?" when someone criticizes a singer for doing a poor job, meanwhile failing to realize that it isn't the critic who deemed himself/herself good enough to be a performer. You're allowed to be critical of something you are not an expert in. You're allowed to be critical of something you do not partake in yourself, as long as you have a reasonable understanding of the situation. That doesn't mean you're right, but it isn't as unjustified as you imply, either.

Despite Arlie doing a good job with RADV, I still feel Nouveau was in greater need of his resources and expertise, hence my criticism. Intel has open-source Vulkan support. AMD claims they're working on it, but, I'm sure the priority of it has been set so low to the point of abandonment because of RADV. Nvidia only has a closed version. There were no plans in sight to support open-source Vulkan drivers for Nouveau. Keep in mind: I don't care about having open-source drivers. I don't use Nvidia on any of my Linux PCs. If I were to use Nvidia, I wouldn't use Nouveau. Meanwhile, I do use AMD open-source drivers, and I have RADV installed. So despite that I favor something that hurts me and benefits something I will likely never use myself, perhaps you should understand my interest is for the community as a whole, rather than just myself.
        well I responded because you said "nobody asked me", so I wanted to make sure that somebody asked you indeed.

Comment

well I responded because you said "nobody asked me", so I wanted to make sure that somebody asked you indeed.
          I meant nobody asked me for my opinion about what should get Vulkan support first.

Comment

Please support interlanced videos e.g. in mp4, ..it is year 2017.

Comment

Is there some realistic estimate, about when reclocking will reach usable state for modern Nvidia cards? Or Nvidia made it such a mess that there is no way to estimate it?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Is there some realistic estimate, about when reclocking will reach usable state for modern Nvidia cards? Or Nvidia made it such a mess that there is no way to estimate it?
                the latter

Comment

ohh right, good idea. Would be cool if somebody could work on that, because the student wouldn't need to know anything about nouveau to implement that, because most of the ground work is already done.

Finding correct policies and how to do the automatic reclocking without the user noticing any perf lags is the main challenge here.
                  Sounds almost like the feature is intentionally held back to avoid user base growth and criticism that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Sounds almost like the feature is intentionally held back to avoid user base growth and criticism that comes with it.
                    well that would be true if we wouldn't know what to do with our time...

and it isn't like nobody works on that. I am still working on getting my other clocking patches upstreamed, which are also kind of required and helpful on getting automatic reclocking working. If it wouldn't be much of a deal, somebody would have already implemented it, sadly it ain't that easy.

Slowly it really annoys me, that people are out there like: Fix/Implement X then everybody will be good again. Problem is: there are like 50 of those Xs and no developers do implement all of those. And I know that this is just a tiny minority which even bothers writing replies like that. But still saying something like that is like a punch in the face followed by a: "we now you do everything for fun and it's your spare time you spend, but if you don't do what we say, your are doomed", and most likely it isn't even meant in such a way, but this is what I basically think if I read something like that.

And I don't even want to complain about the lack of developer or saying the users are stupid for not wanting to help out or something. Getting new contributors interested in a project like this, which gets so screwed over by Nvidia, although unintentional, is not entirely easy if the outlook is so demotivational. GSoC/EVoC is a pretty good idea to get new people on board.

People with the right mindset and motivation to fix their issues is another good one, but this happens not quite enough, so in the end it comes down to this: either we just hack stuff up, loose interest and leaving the project behind or putting efforts into how to get more people interested in such a project and develop a healthy community which won't take a big hit if one developer decides to move on and work on other stuff.

Just because one human being decides to work on Nouveau for quite some time doesn't force that person to continue to work on it. The contrary is true, if somebody decides to move on, this is totally fine by me, it's kind of sad, but nobody can be forced to work on Nouveau.

And despite all that, and especially how much the project will be hold back for whatever reason, I still ask you to not write stuff like this again, because it says something which isn't true and sounds like blatant trolling and it doesn't put you into a good light, because of the things I just wrote about above.

Comment

allow for memory usage reporting to user-space
                      I think this is a must have

Comment

Working...
                      X