No announcement yet.

Projects You Can Help With For Advancing Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects You Can Help With For Advancing Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Graphics

Phoronix: Projects You Can Help With For Advancing Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Graphics

Longtime Nouveau contributor Karol Herbst has been working on an updated list of project ideas for new contributors or those that may be wanting to participate in an Endless Vacation of Code / Google Summer of Code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Kendji
    A person copywright trolling open-source projects is pure evil
    I think you posted in the wrong article...

Comment

Yeah... 😃

Comment

I think automatic reclocking for supported cards should be top priority. This is one of the features that makes a difference for everyday use, and would make people consider using Nouveau in the first place. Not many do that, as long as the card is stuck in low performance state, and requires fiddling to speed up.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          I think automatic reclocking for supported cards should be top priority.
          I wouldn't want to run my card at full clocks without proper fan/power management...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I wouldn't want to run my card at full clocks without proper fan/power management...
            I said supported cards. You know, the old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              I think automatic reclocking for supported cards should be top priority. This is one of the features that makes a difference for everyday use, and would make people consider using Nouveau in the first place. Not many do that, as long as the card is stuck in low performance state, and requires fiddling to speed up.
              ohh right, good idea. Would be cool if somebody could work on that, because the student wouldn't need to know anything about nouveau to implement that, because most of the ground work is already done.

Finding correct policies and how to do the automatic reclocking without the user noticing any perf lags is the main challenge here.

Comment

AMD open source GPU software stack, in opposition with closed source NVidia drivers are getting better and better, gaining traction and support from big players like Baidu

Comment

From the moment I heard about RADV, I felt making a Nouveau Vulkan driver should've been a higher priority buuuut nobody asked me. I get the impression Vulkan is easier to implement than OpenGL, suggesting getting a working driver would've been easier. If reclocking and fan control gets properly implemented, I would imagine the Vulkan performance would be pretty much on-par with the closed-source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    From the moment I heard about RADV, I felt making a Nouveau Vulkan driver should've been a higher priority buuuut nobody asked me. I get the impression Vulkan is easier to implement than OpenGL, suggesting getting a working driver would've been easier. If reclocking and fan control gets properly implemented, I would imagine the Vulkan performance would be pretty much on-par with the closed-source drivers.
                    could you please write a Nouveau vulkan driver? Many thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X