Nouveau Developers Remain Blocked By NVIDIA From Advancing Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I love it. That has to be translated from some other language than English, am I right ?
    No, he was talking about nvidia's actions... Over-reactions they take that seriously hurt themselves with the OSS communities. That was my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You do make an excellent point. I can't honestly say I know what's going on in China in this matter. But I think I can say with reasonable sureness that it's not happening at that scale in the rest of the world. If accurate then its akin to to cutting off the right hand to spite the left.
      Yeah, I even agree with you on the latter. Many of the sellers on eBay could even have been just people buying knock-offs from retail in China and later putting them up on eBay as private citizens. Regardless. Since capital does not have borders, each such card is basically still lost revenue for Nvidia whether the fake cards were sold in China, US or Europe.

Comment

No, he was talking about nvidia's actions... Over-reactions they take that seriously hurt themselves with the OSS communities. That was my point.
        Sorry, I meant the saying about the cold and the achilles tendon, not the actions that prompted the comment.
        Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Sorry, I meant the saying about the cold and the achilles tendon, not the actions that prompted the comment.
          Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying. See nVidia seriously hurts themselves with the oss communities. It was an analogy. Much like how cutting your own achilles tendon would hurt yourself.

Comment

• Could someone please suggest me if my Dell Latitude E6520 with a Nvidia Quadro NVS 4200M and integrated Intel HD 3000 will run better with the propietary drivers or Noveau ones? Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              Could someone please suggest me if my Dell Latitude E6520 with a Nvidia Quadro NVS 4200M and integrated Intel HD 3000 will run better with the propietary drivers or Noveau ones? Cheers
              Well, this is just my opinion, but you'll get a better 3d experience with the proprietary drivers. And you'll get a better desktop experience with Nouveau. Nouveau suffers from lack of help from nvidia and the most complex parts of the driver aren't well supported. On the other hand Nvidia's DDX driver, IMO, is the worst DDX driver of them all at this current time.

Comment

Well, this is just my opinion, but you'll get a better 3d experience with the proprietary drivers. And you'll get a better desktop experience with Nouveau. Nouveau suffers from lack of help from nvidia and the most complex parts of the driver aren't well supported. On the other hand Nvidia's DDX driver, IMO, is the worst DDX driver of them all at this current time.
                Yes. Oddly enough, gnome-shell was faster with nouveau at low clocks than nvidia at high clocks. It was the opposite result with 3d applications.

Comment

• I would gladly play games on Windows and everything else on Gnu Linux / AMD

Late this year I am selling this GTX card!

Very disappointed!

Comment

• And couple of seconds and 5 fps in 3D are making what kind of difference? None, really.
                    Are you rebooting in every 30sec?
                    While gaming - 30fps or 35fps feel equally laggy and with 100fps or 105fps it feels equally smooth.

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      No I am not, but you have problems (to read etc).
                      Unless you have to reboot in every 30 seconds, booting 2 seconds slower or faster is artificial extension of an e-penis. It's pointless showcase of "look at me, I am an OS hipster".
                      When I reboot perhaps once a day or have machine turned on for a week, just letting it sleep meanwhile..
                      What does it matter if it boots 2 seconds faster or slower??

In server-space it's especially meaningless. RAID controller could initialize 2 minutes before being ready for work and it may work a year non-stop.
                      Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar...Optimizations/
                      "16. Don't use debug kernels. Debug kernels are slow. "
                      Daily preach, eh?
                      First, 1000Hz kernel may be great deal shittier use case than 250Hz. Some of the "normal" kernel functionalities depend on debug-features - remove the latter and you have shit breaking. It all depends on particular situations. This is one of the reasons you won't have 1000Hz non-debug kernels by default - not distributor's stupidity.

In desktop use few ms does not matter, in gaming few fps does not matter. Before calling me beginner - I've played shooters on competitive level in the past, so I am not just pulling fast ones on you.

You may of course tweak the hell out of your system - how much time are you actually saving? Does tweaking takes summarily more or less time than you save afterwards?
                      Last edited by aht0; 17 December 2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X