Nouveau Developers Remain Blocked By NVIDIA From Advancing Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    Why then do developers continue to waste their time and develop this driver?
    Would send NVIDIA away, and went to help in the development of radeonSI.
    it is fun

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's not that ideological though. The fact is nVidia cards exist and they need a open source driver.
      The fact is nVidia cards exist and they dont need a open source driver* primary because them dont care have opensource driver and second have propietary Just WorkTM driver

*If you need opensource driver buy amd card and issue solved

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

The fact is nVidia cards exist and they dont need a open source driver* primary because them dont care have opensource driver and second have propietary Just WorkTM driver

Just work driver..
        Lol, they ain't that great...

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

That's not true at all, There are just so many preexisting systems already there. If you want new linux users then you need to give them a fully open source out of box experience.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
            Everything that you wrote can be marked with a "star", the decoding of which can be read in the "footer" of the page, where it says about the phases of the moon, 25 years of programming experience, the blood of a virgin, and at the end the postscript: "This is Linux, baby !!!".
            Sometimes I miss the early days of the open source effort when everyone was saying that "thousands of community developers would write drivers that were much better than AMD's in a few months". These days it seems that even building and publishing packages from published open source driver code has become an "oh we can't do that only AMD can do it" thing.

Maybe that *is* Linux in the 21st century... I sure hope not though
            Last edited by bridgman; 23 September 2017, 02:38 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Sometimes I miss the early days of the open source effort when everyone was saying that "thousands of community developers would write drivers that were much better than AMD's".

These days it seems that even writing an installer for open source driver code has become an "oh we can't do that only AMD can do it" thing.
              Yeah, I was a bit dissapointed by that too. But in fairness you guys did hire some of the top open source developers that did come to the table and develop code. So it's not like it did,nt happen, just not to the extent many people anticipated. You guys have the talent, you already hired them.

Comment

Looks like they actually intended to merge nvgpu with nouveau at some point:
                Contribute to kfractal/nvgpu development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Sometimes I miss the early days of the open source effort when everyone was saying that "thousands of community developers would write drivers that were much better than AMD's in a few months".
                  These days it seems that even building packages for open source driver code has become an "oh we can't do that only AMD can do it" thing.
                  I guess this *is* Linux in the 21st century, baby
                  I think I understood the podcast.
                  But we are just worried about the final (I hope, soon) result.
                  Operating systems based on Linux are able to "work out of the box", and we all want it soon to see with the AMD drivers.

Comment

I really think the nvidia devs would give those information, but they are likely forbidden to do so.
                    If this situation goes on as new gpus will come out, nouveau will not be functional anymore.
                    Nowadays Nvidia thrives with the cudapoly, opensource is not a big part of it's business.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Yeah, I was a bit dissapointed by that too. But in fairness you guys did hire some of the top open source developers that did come to the table and develop code. So it's not like it did,nt happen, just not to the extent many people anticipated. You guys have the talent, you already hired them.
                      Yeah, but it's not like we hired everyone on the planet who knew how to assemble & build packages from source code.

I'm not complaining about lack of driver contributions, just about how "open source but not yet upstream" code has seemingly become an insurmountable obstacle for the larger community. I honestly expected to see more in the way of community contributions to distro-specific package building & publishing if we published the driver code.

We can do it all ourselves, even the packaging, but I really did believe that we should focus our efforts on driver development and let others deal with distro-specific integration.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 23 September 2017, 03:03 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X