No announcement yet.

Nouveau Developers Remain Blocked By NVIDIA From Advancing Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing worth noting is that the nvgpu driver is a joke (it's barely developed) and it cannot be merged with upstream (I don't know why but a Nouveau dev said this).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I guess there'll be a lot of NVIDIA bashing in this topic, but please listen to this (it's from the Q&A section of the same talk) first, OK?

An NVIDIA representative says they are fully aware of nouveau's troubles and they are still figuring out ways to remove this deadlock. It still sucks a lot that they don't give any ETA on when they will finally release signed firmware for public domain. It sucks even more if you realize that every Windows/MacOS/Linux proprietary driver does embed the said firmware (so it's already in public domain, albeit in an obfuscated binary form), so it's not the question of protecting their IP. It's some internal politics I cannot find any rational explanation to.

NVIDIA, get your shit together, please. Nouveau devs don't ask to be paid, they don't ask for your blueprints or anything which might jeopardize your IP. They just ask you to release what's already in public domain for fuck's sake. AMD actually pays its own internal and external developers to work on their open source drivers. NVIDIA has been spared of that. It's just shameful, guys.
      Whether NVIDIA are "evil" and don't give a rat's ass about open-source, or they want to but cannot because of legal reasons, the end result is the same. If you want an open-source driver, nouveau unfortunately is the worst option. I do not care about the reason, I care about the end result, and I will voice my opinion in a normal and civilized manner. Surely the rest of the forum members can do the same

Comment

Why then do developers continue to waste their time and develop this driver?
        Would send NVIDIA away, and went to help in the development of radeonSI.

Comment

I feel sorry for the Nouveau developers working so hard to support the hardware from the shittiest company on earth.
          I hope that, when they give up on supporting the assholes, they will start directing their efforts into improving AMD open source drivers.
          I, at least, I'm choosing with my wallet and I will not buy any Nvidia desktop or mobile GPU and no game "meant to be played" on Nvidia.

Comment

My next GPU will be Radeon for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
              Why then do developers continue to waste their time and develop this driver?
              Would send NVIDIA away, and went to help in the development of radeonSI.

Comment

Just look at all their stuff: "The way it's meant to be played", G-Sync, GameWorks... - Looks like all they do research for is vendor lock-in, mind control and media manipulation to milk more cash from the people without caring a shit about anything and destroying anything beside them.
                Probably when you had no funds they would even take kidneys as payment

But I really hope that they will receive the bill one day. No wonder that Intel seems to be more open for business with AMD than NV. It looks to me like they will have big issues when they're in the need of friends and can't buy them anymore.

Comment

Any new nouveau benches? Despite this I am considering a Nvidia GPU due to where AMD prices are, but I will not go back to binary drivers.

Comment

Nvidia opensource, good joke

Seriously them dont have any interest in opensource and with them actions confirm that

If you want buy thinking about opensource clearly nvidia is not your option

In my case stay waiting amd stay in same level to nvidia: features case nvenc, driver gui, compatibility (all opengl AZDO extensions - OpenGL 4.6 with conformant tests passed, no mesa core profile problem), performance and better watt ratio

When amd offer before cited and can offer a gpu with 70 to 75% of performance of my actual GTX 1050 but only consume 30w (passive model will be good) maybe buy amd card*

*All depend opensource driver (waiting how much advance mesa for ubuntu 18.04 lts next year) devs and amd hardware next year (navi 7nm?)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 23 September 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Makes me want to go build yet another Ryzen/Polaris box just for the helluv-it (built two recently for personal and business use).

Comment

Working...
                      X