Fwupd 0.9.5 Released With Logitech Support, Intel ME Version Querying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 0.9.5 Released With Logitech Support, Intel ME Version Querying

Phoronix: Fwupd 0.9.5 Released With Logitech Support, Intel ME Version Querying

Richard Hughes of Red Hat has announced the release of the fwupd 0.9.5 firmware update utility for the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So after two years of no further BIOS updates there's now an "ME update tool" package on the "other OS" section of downloads for my Asus Haswell board, but the package only contains MS-windows executable bundle... Awesome.

At least I'm now aware that I'm missing a security update from Asus.

Not running Fedora here, but thanks Richard / Red Hat for the inspiration to check!

Comment

You can also check this repo: https://github.com/intel/INTEL-SA-00...tigation-Tools

Comment

But there isn't any ME upgrading support from fwupd since that comes down to needing a vendor-supplied BIOS/firmware update.

I grab updates from there and flash without problems; even took my ME firmware from 11.0 to 11.6

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
          package only contains MS-windows executable bundle...
          I pretty sure it will run under FreeDOS. Did you tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

I grab updates from there and flash without problems; even took my ME firmware from 11.0 to 11.6
            Fantastic idea to use firmware from some random website NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjo View Post

I never said it was a good idea nor even recommended. However, I use that site all the time to update ME firmware across multiple devices without problem.

The ME firmware and tools also do checks on the firmware file, so unless you can somehow get past those checks, you aren't flashing modified ME firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjo View Post
                That's a relatively reputable place (it's well-known, at least in my circles), but yeah, I agree it's still a WTF NO.

Comment

Working...
                X