Canonical Mainlines A Bunch Of Their AppArmor Changes For Linux 4.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Mainlines A Bunch Of Their AppArmor Changes For Linux 4.13

Phoronix: Canonical Mainlines A Bunch Of Their AppArmor Changes For Linux 4.13

The Linux 4.13 kernel that's in development will pick up a big code contribution from Canonical as they have prepped a lot of their AppArmor security changes for mainlining, some of which code has been sitting in Ubuntu's kernel build for years...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ity-Linux-4.13

Cool, this is the kind of stuff that makes Canonical loved.
    This is what the community appreciated!
    Very much thanks Canonical and good work!

I am sure the community appreciates this work. What the community haven't appreciated is NIH things like Mir.

I would love to see PDF reader, video players, image viewers use AppArmor. To prevent an exploit in a PDF file from doing something malicious.

Comment

Probably has nothing to do with the whole Canonical dropping Unity and Mir thing....but it does seem like they are opening up and contributing more to the whole Linux ecosystem lately. Glad to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Probably has nothing to do with the whole Canonical dropping Unity and Mir thing....but it does seem like they are opening up and contributing more to the whole Linux ecosystem lately. Glad to see it.
        Who knows, it may have brought home that Unity/Mir came at the opportunity cost of other stuff not being worked on, and the ecosystem thus being impoverished relative to what might have been. Having said that, too early to tell whether this is part of that/a trend.

Comment

As a OpenSUSE user I welcome this stuff.

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          I'd still be ready to bet that this is because they don't see that as being interesting anymore to keep themselves cooler than the bunch.

Aka Apple, that opensources stuff as a dumping ground for failed "revolutionary technology".

Which is still imho better than just let it die proprietary like other companies do, but a far cry from "opening up and contributing".

Comment

Glad to see that Canonical seems to be already singing a bit of a new tune. I think this will be a lot more productive.

Comment

Originally posted by foppe View Post
              Who knows, it may have brought home that Unity/Mir came at the opportunity cost of other stuff not being worked on, and the ecosystem thus being impoverished relative to what might have been. Having said that, too early to tell whether this is part of that/a trend.
              Hm, is there any data on how much/whether their upstream contributions decreased when they started developing unity/mir/ubuntu phone? Would phoronix's anzwix help in such an analysis?

Comment

Which module is more popular nowadays among distros, AppArmor or SELinux? Which one is gaining more steam?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Which module is more popular nowadays among distros, AppArmor or SELinux? Which one is gaining more steam?
                  Well I think SELinux went full commercial, and one of the authors is a bit of a child sometimes. Apologies if I'm inaccurate though, I really haven't looked into it and could be thinking of something else.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercoms View Post

Well I think SELinux went full commercial, and one of the authors is a bit of a child sometimes. Apologies if I'm inaccurate though, I really haven't looked into it and could be thinking of something else.
                    I think that was grsecurity, or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X