The Challenges In Ubuntu Switching To The GNOME Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

That's bullshit, KDE made a commitment to other OS's. If Gnome wants to say "We are Linux only" fine, say it and be done with it. So far they have not done so.
    And so? They don't have to say anything. They don't support other OS'es if you didn't notice yet. I hope KDE will also go this way.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
      Yes and how slow:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unity is doing better than Gnome, hence I might stay with Unity not only because of the workflow etc.
      You should bring newer benchmarks where KDE is faster. When comes to Gnome I hope they'll fix few remaining issues.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

ITS NOT LINUX, its gnome a desktop for UNIX-Like OS's.
        GNU actually, BSD us not Linux based OS, but it have tons of GNU components, don't mind my post I just wanted to be "that guy" and correct you both .

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
          I'm kind of surprised Canonical didn't go with KDE/Plasma rather than GNOME. There have been many articles discussing how to customize Plasma to look like Unity - seems like that would have been an easier migration for current Unity users.
          It's a matter of politics bluntly, they're not going to admit to it obviously but I'm sure that decision came down to one reason: Johnathon Riddell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Exactly. Linux developers should focus on Linux and don't bother about anything else. I don't see any efforts coming from Apple, MS, BSD, haiku (or some other crap like minix) to improve Linux. Screw them.

While KDE is my DE of choice I'm looking forward to Ubuntu [Gnome]. If they fix issues like memory leaks and performance problems it could roll out as very good OS. Add some additional features like split view in Files and it will be great. Ps. I wonder what developer platform they recommend? Till now their toolkit of choice was Qt.
            Right, because CUPS and LLVM/Clang aren't being aided by Apple and the greater conglomeration of corporations, not to mention the simple fact that LINUX is DOA w/o Corporate America. I'm sure Oracle, IBM, DELL, HP, etc., will beg to differ with the billions they've poured into maturing Linux for you just to prove how stupid your are.

Linux doesn't exist without Minix or BSD/FreeBSD, and every other derived UNIX environment. But keep whining. Hell Mesa is a POS w/ AMD, INTEL, IBM, NVIDIA, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

It's a matter of politics bluntly, they're not going to admit to it obviously but I'm sure that decision came down to one reason: Johnathon Riddell.
              Yup...sad but most likely true...

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

Yup...sad but most likely true...
                I also suspect that played a very real part in their decision making process.

However, ultimately I think they decided to abandon the desktop market and focus on business/virtualization use, and Gnome is pretty much the defacto standard in that area so I think they probably would have gone that way anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X