The Challenges In Ubuntu Switching To The GNOME Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    It's not my cup of tea, but I know a lot of folks liked Unity. Mir could be an easier path to Wayland for smaller desktops (like MATE is investigating). Just because it's not to your liking doesn't mean it's a worthless effort.
    just because it is scrapped, it does mean it's a worthless effort

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
      My gripes about Gnome resolve around their design philosophy more than the UI experience however. Their reliance on systemd, (alienating every other unix like os on earth)
      alienating every other unused piece of shit is much better than leaving users without improvements brought by systemd integration

Comment

Canonical lost competition at the Start, and this since 2011 when they forced users to switch from Gnome2 to Unity, many of them migrating to MacOS.
        Canonical has a long list of widely known failures
        Ubuntu Phone
        Ubuntu Touch OS
        Ubuntu MIR
        Ubuntu Unity 8

That's because of poor (or non existent) communication or due to lack of response to users [negative] feedback.
        After Mr. Shuttleworth threw away, to Recycle Bin, the greatest [non] achievements of Cannonical, now he makes a 180 degree turn, back to Gnome3.

A better solution could be migration to another distribution Fedora, OpenSUSE or Arch, eventually to another DE maybe KDE/LxQT.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          alienating every other unused piece of shit is much better than leaving users without improvements brought by systemd integration
          Oh ya, its wonderful, keep telling yourself that.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            Exactly. Linux developers should focus on Linux and don't bother about anything else. I don't see any efforts coming from Apple, MS, BSD, haiku (or some other crap like minix) to improve Linux. Screw them.

While KDE is my DE of choice I'm looking forward to Ubuntu [Gnome]. If they fix issues like memory leaks and performance problems it could roll out as very good OS. Add some additional features like split view in Files and it will be great. Ps. I wonder what developer platform they recommend? Till now their toolkit of choice was Qt.
            Last edited by Guest; 03 July 2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Exactly. Linux developers should focus on Linux and don't bother about anything else. I don't see any efforts coming from Apple, MS, BSD, haiku (or some other crap like minix) to improve Linux. Screw them.

While KDE is my DE of choice I'm looking forward to Ubuntu Gnome. If they fix issues like memory leaks and performance problems it could roll out as very good OS. Add some additional features like split view in Files and it will be great. Ps. I wonder what developer platform they recommend? Till now their toolkit of choice was Qt.
              ITS NOT LINUX, its gnome a desktop for UNIX-Like OS's.

Comment

Oh ya, its wonderful, keep telling yourself that.
                Yes, it great. Much better than upstart and far better than SysVinit.

ITS NOT LINUX, its gnome a desktop for UNIX-Like OS's.
                It's Linux desktop environment. Made by Linux users for Linux users. It's such simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Yes, it great. Much better than upstart and far better than SysVinit.

It's Linux desktop environment. Made by Linux users for Linux users. It's such simple.
                  That's bullshit, KDE made a commitment to other OS's. If Gnome wants to say "We are Linux only" fine, say it and be done with it. So far they have not done so.

Comment

My gripes about Gnome resolve around their design philosophy more than the UI experience however. Their reliance on systemd, (alienating every other unix like os on earth)
                    ^
                    |
                    This person is somehow claiming that FreeBSD is not unix-like (Hint: FreeBSD has a GNOME 3 that works fine thanks to a logind shim or something).

Comment

That's bullshit, KDE made a commitment to other OS's. If Gnome wants to say "We are Linux only" fine, say it and be done with it. So far they have not done so.
                      That's bullshit, KDE never did any commitment, FreeBSD guys porting it still need to hack around Linux-specific stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X