Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Challenges In Ubuntu Switching To The GNOME Desktop

Phoronix: The Challenges In Ubuntu Switching To The GNOME Desktop

Ubuntu's desktop team and designers are still working through their planned desktop experience with the switch from Unity 7 to GNOME...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael typo: "wishing to install it atop Ubuntu 17.10"

I think it should read 17.04, right?

Comment

It must be tough for Mark to drop Unity and giving up the dream of ruling software.
      Parody song video from the album "Aliens Ate My Homework!"http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bohnhoff3

Comment

And now I wonder why they were trying so hard in the first place, first Unity, then MIR, worthless efforts thatcould have instead been spent on improving GNOME and Wayland, guess at some point they had to accept it was just too much trouble to be such a tryhard.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          And now I wonder why they were trying so hard in the first place, first Unity, then MIR, worthless efforts thatcould have instead been spent on improving GNOME and Wayland, guess at some point they had to accept it was just too much trouble to be such a tryhard.
          It's not my cup of tea, but I know a lot of folks liked Unity. Mir could be an easier path to Wayland for smaller desktops (like MATE is investigating). Just because it's not to your liking doesn't mean it's a worthless effort.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

It's not my cup of tea, but I know a lot of folks liked Unity. Mir could be an easier path to Wayland for smaller desktops (like MATE is investigating). Just because it's not to your liking doesn't mean it's a worthless effort.
            I suppose it was worth a try, but it wasn't working out.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

The useless effort was keeping Unity and Mir independent from wayland. It's true that is could still have been usefull as a wayland compositor, but it may be too late for that now.

Comment

Well the thing is Mir was a great idea as the scope of project they could roll out in version 15.10 and make the default for 16.04. Once they blew past that and they weren't even close, that was the time to either drop it or work with the Wayland folks. Fedora shipped Wayland as an optional mostly working thing, then as the default, this again would have been a great time for Mir to shift focus. A Unity that wasn't so closely chained to Mir would be a lot more viable given the current situation.

At this point I agree it's wasted effort because now they only have 2 options, either of which would have been significantly less work to do a year or two ago. They also would have done more to support other projects, and do things like present a unified front to Nvidia.....

Comment

This can't be that hard.. you call up the Ubuntu Gnome project and say "Hea dudes, how'd ya like to be the default?"

Extensions are sometimes a crutch to make Gnome operate in a way that is similar to other desktops. A lot of times they break the way Gnome is supposed to work.. so instead of a user learning the proper and fluent way Gnome works, they end up relying on these and getting a less effective UI. For example imagine a Linux convert running all their windows apps in wine as opposed to learning alternative native linux apps. I suggest they allow people to take the time to learn how it runs first in vanilla, then add any extensions they want after themselves. Perhaps a welcome screen showing some basic Gnome differences from Unity would be better than changing how Gnome itself works to be more like Unity?

My gripes about Gnome resolve around their design philosophy more than the UI experience however. Their reliance on systemd, (alienating every other unix like os on earth) or making tracker dependent on everything. (breaking the crap out of system that would not want such a "feature" as NFS mounted /home setups). They are moving forward throwing in the kitchen sink when they have some stuff that's needed attention for a long time in their base like Evolution.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 03 July 2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I use Unity and hope they can get Gnome alike. For now Gnome user experience is far from the Unity Mac look and feel.

Comment

Working...
                    X