No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Saw A Notable Decline For June 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless Steam Linux has something that invites users, making it worth the job of manually installing a different operating system, it won't go far!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Maybe more gamers are emerging, due to the school season being over? (all of them using Windows, of course)
      nope, unless weather is utter horror (like "snow-poor summer in Northern hemishphere") people tend to play even less on average during Summer time. Most players are usually being seen online between Christmas and New Year. Then you are also going to get traditional DDOS attacks on game ISPs and such..

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Title should say
        "Steam Linux usage percentage saw a notable decline"

Because the way it's phrased makes it sound like Valve reported a drop in absolute numbers.
        In the same period Mac OSX usage dropped by an even higher (slightly) percentage.
        I think we need to gather a few dollars to get Michael a book on how Statistics work.

The title and article claiming a large decline when it's not even 1%. Right, sure, okay then.

Comment

Its about 1 account for 1 game in windows users behaviour = 812739821 accounts

Comment

the last two surveys I got asked while I was running Steam on my Win10 partition. So thats the 0.09% swing

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
              Valve's original push is looking somewhat short-lived and it's not clear what would reverse the trend again.
              this is ridiculous. valve's push became much harder in recent months, you just don't know where to look

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                While gaming on Linux is cool and all, you want all your games working on it.
                all my games are working on it
                Even if DX11 were to work in WIne, it would probably be a hit or a miss if the game ran perfectly. Forget about performance with Wine.
                why mention wine at all? it is not needed for linux games
                If GTAV were to come out tomorrow, it would be of no help
                because most played games on steam are dota and csgo, which do have linux clients

Comment

Originally posted by darkfires View Post
                  I don't know why people even bother playing games on Linux anymore... It's just a pain in the ass most of the time, and it's not like you can play all the latest games without issues, hoping wine doesn't crash on you. If you own a 4K screen it's just a waste of time performance wise. Even on Windows with my 1080Ti
                  1) buy windows
                  2) buy windows videocard
                  3) buy windows games
                  4) experience pain in the ass
                  5) ??????
                  6) blame linux!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    That's a myth. Surely there are 2 or 3 games that have issues, but people spreading this usually just can't set it up and blame the OS.
                    lol, this is about linux, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by QuImUfu View Post
                      I think one of the biggest problems for gaming on Linux is not that wine does work badly, but that it is hard to use and the AppDB is far from up to date. (I play at least two games and one program perfectly fine over wine that have a Garbage/Bronze rating or wrong/outdated/to complicated instructions)
                      I think updating the play on linux scripts and making them work properly would be a huge step forward for Linux usability. I would like to post install scrips for all programs i use but in my opinion the progress how they are added to the program is complicated and takes way to long. They should make a proper system for updating and maintaining these scripts with a bug tracker per script and fixed maintainers for them.
                      I would recommend making scripts for lutris. PlayOnLinux looks very outdated today.

Comment

Working...
                      X