No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Saw A Notable Decline For June 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why people even bother playing games on Linux anymore... It's just a pain in the ass most of the time, and it's not like you can play all the latest games without issues, hoping wine doesn't crash on you. If you own a 4K screen it's just a waste of time performance wise. Even on Windows with my 1080Ti some games on Ultra during complex scenes there's noticeable fps drop in 4K, at least we're almost at the point where graphics cards can do 4K Ultra flawlessly. I suppose that will be the Volta cards coming out next.

Comment

Just the usual stuff. No new games, no old games ported, what people usually play isn't available. People just tinker a bit, then switch back. It won't change until games start coming. There will be the die hards and people doing experiments, and that's that 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Many older windows games do not work in win10 when they work in wine.
        That's a myth. Surely there are 2 or 3 games that have issues, but people spreading this usually just can't set it up and blame the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I got a survey today and haven't for a long time. However, Steam crashed 3 times when trying to complete it. It asked me to complete the survey each time but I don't know if it successfully submitted, since Steam also crashed when I clicked Finish. It almost never crashes for me otherwise. I wonder if this has something to do with the worse-than-usual results?
          Same here.

Comment

Does taking the survey over wine count as Windows or Linux user? I have gone through at least two steam surveys over wine.
            I play all my steam games over wine because in most cases the performance is better or as good as the performance with all the crappy ports out there (do they optimize their OpenGL renderer at all?) additionally Steam does not work reliably on lubuntu (at least not on my PC) while Steam over wine works perfectly fine. For nearly a month i was forced to install windows on my pc because a game dropped DX9 support and offered only DX10, but since wine 2.9 staging it worked again with DX10, performance is good enough. Lots of graphic bugs.

I think one of the biggest problems for gaming on Linux is not that wine does work badly, but that it is hard to use and the AppDB is far from up to date. (I play at least two games and one program perfectly fine over wine that have a Garbage/Bronze rating or wrong/outdated/to complicated instructions)
            I think updating the play on linux scripts and making them work properly would be a huge step forward for Linux usability. I would like to post install scrips for all programs i use but in my opinion the progress how they are added to the program is complicated and takes way to long. They should make a proper system for updating and maintaining these scripts with a bug tracker per script and fixed maintainers for them.
            In the moment it is more likely you program will run with the newest wine staging out of the box than over play on Linux (in my experience). Your best change of success is understanding the basics about how wine works and debugging/fixing your program yourself. This is not something the average user is willing/able to do.

This is why i understand users that want their PC's to "just work" using windows where you just have to press play on steam and all games work. I would like to see something similar with Play on Linux.

Comment

Note the Trolls creating doubt. =p -- Anyway, I haven't even been opening Steam, I have more important things on my mind than Games right now. Nothing to do with Linux or Steam, I'm just in one of those phases.

Comment

I think that I've seen that survey as often when running Steam using wine (to play some stuff like South Park: The Stick of Truth) just few times as when I'm running native client almost everyday...
                I guess that these could count as XP since that was very old wine prefix.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Gaming on Linux? No thanks. Input lag, graphical anomalies, performance issues, stutter, broken alt+tab...

Why on earth would I keep subjecting myself to all that? A Wintendo license is not too expensive after all :-P

On every Linux conference you see the same old same old. Disk I/O, server workload, MySQL throughput, systemd... Nobody cares about video games on Linux. They're for children or silly Windows users
                  The broken alt+tab makes you wonder why Valve is not putting more effort into supporting Wayland. Yes, X is tried-and-tested as well as being stable and widely deployed which is probably why they chose to support it. However X is also horribly broken in several fundamental ways which Wayland was specifically designed to overcome. One of these shortcomings of X is the keyboard handling and input handling in general.

Anybody knows if there are any future plans for Wayland-based Steam and SteamOS?

Edit: especially now that Mir is gone and Wayland is clearly the successor of X.
                  Last edited by amehaye; 02 July 2017, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    That's a myth. Surely there are 2 or 3 games that have issues, but people spreading this usually just can't set it up and blame the OS.
                    2 or 3 Myths

https://www.gog.com/news/news_we_are...for_windows_10
                    https://support.gamehouse.com/hc/en-...ith-Windows-10

It is just that out of thousands games available in steam people on average have say 40 games but even that depends on contry, is usually lower

Out of 5 most favorite games that Linux currently missing on average seems to be GTA5 and P'sB, but let alone that... Average steam Joe have up to how much is that 0.1% random games on steam, so there is no much issues to be spotted... it is enough to just fix or workaround hot spots here and there so that not much people notice an issue

edit: That We are ready for Windows 10 claim of 85% sounds more possible than We are ready for 300+ Linux distros To not mentioning these distros or users who rolls in unpredictable ways
                    Last edited by dungeon; 02 July 2017, 03:18 AM.

Comment

There are between ~9-13.5 million concurrent users. http://steamcharts.com/
                      that equates to just under 100000 Linux gamers at max at any given time. I think the steam survey is accurate, but more an reflection of the number of active users rather than total amount of registered users.

Comment

Working...
                      X