No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's "Open-Source Guy" Has Left The Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what that will mean for Nouveau. Establishing a new contact for firmware files and stuff could set back the project somewhat.
    Hmm. For my part I'd welcome those nouveau folks to work on the AMD freedom stack if they become too frustrated working on nv hardware.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      to work on the AMD freedom stack if they become too frustrated working on nv hardware.
      Although frustrating to work with, some nouveau developers said that this is the fun part of nouveau, trying to discover how the hardware work through reverse engineering, also the joked saying that AMD stuff is "too easy" with documentation included

Comment

If you want nouveau to work better, maybe you should get some serial cables and boards and start working on it yourself. Noone owes you a working open source driver. This is still mostly a volunteer effort you know. Ultimately I think NVIDIA is going to have to open up more of their driver just to get multi GPU support working properly with Intel integrated graphics. Being able to hotswitch between cards is becoming the norm and there's significant issues with swapping between OpenGL library implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Although frustrating to work with, some nouveau developers said that this is the fun part of nouveau, trying to discover how the hardware work through reverse engineering, also the joked saying that AMD stuff is "too easy" with documentation included
          Not what I've gathered from the IRC channel. They're really pissed at how Nvidia released PMU firmware for the Jetson TX2 (Pascal) but for no other GPUs. In addition signed firmware means reverse engineering is harder.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
            If you want nouveau to work better, maybe you should get some serial cables and boards and start working on it yourself. Noone owes you a working open source driver. This is still mostly a volunteer effort you know. Ultimately I think NVIDIA is going to have to open up more of their driver just to get multi GPU support working properly with Intel integrated graphics. Being able to hotswitch between cards is becoming the norm and there's significant issues with swapping between OpenGL library implementations.
            This cute misconception again. Nobody open sources their drivers. The write them anew. Big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              egra has possibly the only embedded GPU that has something resembling open source support.
              where did you get that from? vc4, vivante and adreno have open source support in mesa

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Awkwardly enough, Tegra has possibly the only embedded GPU that has something resembling open source support.
                AMD embedded GPUs are supported by our open source drivers.

Comment

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf oh no wait I already did that.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    My bet is that Alex is off to work for Softbank, or a subsidiary of (you know, the mob that bought ARM) with their drivers. it would be cool if he can get a bit more of their code opened
                    I had the exact same hope. Perhaps it's wishful thinking...

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

AMD embedded GPUs are supported by our open source drivers.
                      Wow, AMD has embedded GPUs? I did not know that.

Comment

Working...
                      X