Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's "Open-Source Guy" Has Left The Company

Phoronix: NVIDIA's "Open-Source Guy" Has Left The Company

One of the main public-facing figures to NVIDIA's open-source driver efforts has left the company to pursue a new opportunity...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Anvil
    Nouveau is a piece of shit anyway so it wont matter IMO
    I'd say, given the conditions, we should be thankfull for what they were able to present so far

Comment

Still better than what windoze offers built in lol.

Comment

Don't hammer (sorry, it was tempting with your name) them too hard, I personally think they are doing an amazing job given the support they receive from nVidia.

Performance-wise, it might not be great, but the functionality is here for the most part, and the nouveau team has contributed a lot to the general mesa (and gallium) advancement.
        Nouveau is mostly usable for a light desktop OpenGL-accelerated use case, and that's already an impressive feat. It also performs quite well when it can do reclocking.

But to be fair, you shouldn't be buying nVidia graphics cards anyway (that is, if you care about openness, and this kind of stuff). I won't get into the details, that are all well-known, but will instead throw more kudos at the nouveau team, and many thanks to Alexandre for what he was able to accomplish

Comment

My bet is that Alex is off to work for Softbank, or a subsidiary of (you know, the mob that bought ARM) with their drivers. it would be cool if he can get a bit more of their code opened

Comment

Hm, I guess people forget that nouveau is not strictly about desktop. It's also about Tegra.
            Awkwardly enough, Tegra has possibly the only embedded GPU that has something resembling open source support.

Comment

Given that the Nouveau developers are working off of nearly nothing (unless you are talking Tegra) to hammer a driver into shape, that they have managed a lot in a short amount of time.
              And I can only assume that this job get harder now that they lost the one guy in the company that handed them stuff.
              I am not in the business of insulting that dedication... I am not sure that Nvidia will happen to replace that position.

Comment

Originally posted by fnero
                Nouveau is a real bullshit, what great work do they speak?
                seems like you set Nouveau = Nvidia.
                Kudos to the Nouveau developers for creating a nice and useful out of the box working solution for Nvidia cards. The cards from Nvidia by itself are not bad (apart the newer signed firmware stuff), I just don't like the company and don't want to throw money at their business model. But having the possibilty to use some older gen cards with real good performance on open source is great.
                And creating something reverse engineered that reaches 2/3 of the companies own drivers performance is nothing short of an amazing achievement!

Comment

The devs did great work. But it doesnt change that the driver is in a bad shape.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    The devs did great work. But it doesnt change that the driver is in a bad shape.
                    "A program that almost works is like a plane that almost flies"
                    But again, it seems to be working well for Tegra, despite falling short on GeForce.

Comment

Working...
                    X