No announcement yet.

Nouveau 1.0.14 Released With GM10x/GM20x Accelerated Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to dispel some confusion... hopefully. (Yeah, it never works out that way.)

(a) 2D acceleration hardware IS NOT GONE on new chips. That's just an AMD thing. Still there on NVIDIA, as of GM20x. I assume it will remain. xf86-video-nouveau does NOT use GLAMOR internally.
    (b) The nouveau GL driver has basically 0 ability to recover from any kind of errors. Using it for a 3-hour gaming session is fine. The game crashes, you're sad, but you'll live. Using it for a 30-60-day Xorg session -- not what it was designed for, or tested with, or a use case that I plan on supporting. (Perhaps others plan on supporting it? Who knows. Definitely not me.)
    (c) The xf86-video-nouveau code is dead simple, very well battle-tested, and has (some) proper error recovery mechanisms. Easy to add more as new failure scenarios are discovered. I regularly use it for months at a time without restart.

And lastly, but perhaps most importantly,
    (d) You only need xf86-video-nouveau if you're using your NVIDIA chip as your primary screen in X (i.e. not as a "GPU" screen). If it's just an accelerator, or even just used for secondary screens, you have no need for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
      Downsides:

Probably tears.
      For a moment I thought you were commenting on the sad state Nouveau is in.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Do the artifacts also happen under XWayland or only X, btw?
        The issue I described should only affect Xorg with the modesetting driver, not Xwayland. So you're probably seeing a different issue.

Comment

Working...
        X