Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau 1.0.14 Released With GM10x/GM20x Accelerated Support

Phoronix: Nouveau 1.0.14 Released With GM10x/GM20x Accelerated Support

For those using the xf86-video-nouveau X.Org driver rather than xf86-video-modesetting, the Nouveau DDX v1.0.14 release took place today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I had a talk with imirkin on IRC once about this. Apparently the benefits of this driver are:

Stability
    Faster on 2D

Downsides:

Probably tears.

I add the last one since every single one of the xorg drivers except modesetting tears for me in chrome. Gaming is also slightly worse than modesetting (1% or less) with all of the drivers that i've tested previously. Let's not even get into the whole hardware transition of eliminating 2D units and going full 3D or how wayland ONLY uses modesetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
      Downsides:

Probably tears.

I add the last one since every single one of the xorg drivers except modesetting tears for me in chrome.
      If there's a scenario where xf86-video-ati/amdgpu exhibit tearing but modesetting doesn't, I'd be interested in a bug report with details on how to reproduce.

Gaming is also slightly worse than modesetting (1% or less) with all of the drivers that i've tested previously.
      The only possible reason for modesetting being faster than any other driver using glamor is that it doesn't have any code to flush GPU commands corresponding to Damage events sent to clients, which can result in visual artifacts with direct rendering compositors. Other than that, it's all the same glamor/Mesa/kernel code in all cases.

[...] wayland ONLY uses modesetting.
      The modesetting driver can't be used in a Wayland display. What you meant is probably that Xwayland (which is different from Xorg) can only use glamor for 2D acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

The modesetting driver can't be used in a Wayland display. What you meant is probably that Xwayland (which is different from Xorg) can only use glamor for 2D acceleration?
        Based on this, am I right to say that all DEs and WMs that currently claim to run in Wayland with the ability to launch X-based applications are running over Xwayland and not real Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Based on this, am I right to say that all DEs and WMs that currently claim to run in Wayland with the ability to launch X-based applications are running over Xwayland and not real Wayland?
          No. WM runs in Wayland and manages XWayland session for X programs

Comment

Tried fedora and Ubuntu on three different laptops. Behavior was the same. Google Chrome was the main exhibit.

Actually if memory serves me correct, the Intel one exhibited tearing in dota 2. The so called TearFree option in Xorg just reduced the framerate and introduced some stuttering. Can't say i've done much testing with AMD though. Laptop i used had a newer AMD GPU and Fedora has no amdgpu package for xorg.

And yes that's what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

If there's a scenario where xf86-video-ati/amdgpu exhibit tearing but modesetting doesn't, I'd be interested in a bug report with details on how to reproduce.

The only possible reason for modesetting being faster than any other driver using glamor is that it doesn't have any code to flush GPU commands corresponding to Damage events sent to clients, which can result in visual artifacts with direct rendering compositors. Other than that, it's all the same glamor/Mesa/kernel code in all cases.

Do the artifacts also happen under XWayland or only X, btw? I'm curious since I may have seen some but haven't had enough time to report the bug since it goes away by itself so low impact

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
                Tried fedora and Ubuntu on three different laptops. Behavior was the same. Google Chrome was the main exhibit.

Actually if memory serves me correct, the Intel one exhibited tearing in dota 2. The so called TearFree option in Xorg just reduced the framerate and introduced some stuttering. Can't say i've done much testing with AMD though. Laptop i used had a newer AMD GPU and Fedora has no amdgpu package for xorg.

And yes that's what I meant.
                I might be totally off-track but I thought that "missing" driver was the X driver for AMDGPU Pro

Comment

For dump people: So my GTX 860M is now properly supported? Its first gen Maxwell Please help :x

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                    For dump people: So my GTX 860M is now properly supported? Its first gen Maxwell Please help :x
                    From wikipedia's NVIDIA GPU list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...8xxM.29_series

That card is either GM107 or GK104. If you say it is "first gen Maxwell", then it is GM107, and should be targeted by this article's improvement (the GK104 is Kepler, older gen than Maxwell).

This article talks about 2D acceleration support though, not about 3D acceleration (gaming).

Comment

Working...
                    X