NVIDIA Makes Huge Code Contribution To Qt, New Qt 3D Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

? What? I mean Apple is far from good, but miles better than Nvidia. You know about CUPS for example?
    Yeah cups which was developed by some other company that Apple then bought

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

That's and 'old' project.
      I don't see the current apple maikng such a play.
      Just look at Metal. They're dancing a completely different tune right now.
      They've always eschewed open source whenever possible (it's why they went BSD instead of Linux). CUPS and X were just too entrenched to avoid, impossible to take to closed source, so the only way to contribute was to do it in the open. But that's ok, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Without Nvidia I would still be using Windows. As for Apple I'll probably stop supporting them, if they continue with Metal alike stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
          Without Nvidia I would still be using Windows. As for Apple I'll probably stop supporting them, if they continue with Metal alike stuff.
          Even i am surprised, but never had an issue with AMD in Linux.
          Though nothing serious, i can't say the same for Nvidia. (both in Windows and Linux, btw)

Comment

Makes me wonder what nvidia is getting out of all of this. That's a lot of work they put in for something that, to my understanding, isn't specific to their products.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Makes me wonder what nvidia is getting out of all of this. That's a lot of work they put in for something that, to my understanding, isn't specific to their products.
              Well their Tegra soc is all about car industry today. And if the name Nvidia Drive Design Studio does not tell you the intended purpose of it, I don't know how to tell you it more straight forward.

Comment

3D in Qt would be a selling point as Nvidia still trumps AMD.
                And there's commercial licensing, that usually means support $$$.

Comment

They need some reason for folks to switch from Intel GPUs, and heavy 3s UIs are as good as any other.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

? What? I mean Apple is far from good, but miles better than Nvidia. You know about CUPS for example?
                    Clang/LLVM/LLDB/etc

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

Yeah cups which was developed by some other company that Apple then bought
                      99% of CUPS maturity and functionality is due to Apple buying it and funding the Staff. Next you'll talk about WebKit which was a POS KHTML that besides it's ``origin'' has nothing to do with WebKit; and thanks to WebKit the GTK port is mature and not a joke.

Comment

Working...
                      X