NVIDIA Makes Huge Code Contribution To Qt, New Qt 3D Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
    Additionally, I do have a very old dell inspiron SFF thing here on my desk, that has basically no support by any set of drivers, it's been dropped by fglrx (or whatever that was) and it's too old to be supported by the modern opensource drivers and newer closed source ones. So i'm left with a GPU that can't even properly display 720p video.
    The open source drivers support cards back to 2000, so I'm skeptical about that. 2002 was r300 which has decent support.

Comment

IDEs are old hat, we have to have “Design Studios” now....

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

99% of CUPS maturity and functionality is due to Apple buying it and funding the Staff. Next you'll talk about WebKit which was a POS KHTML that besides it's ``origin'' has nothing to do with WebKit; and thanks to WebKit the GTK port is mature and not a joke.
        CUPS was pretty mature and completely working before Apply bought it out. Oh, yeah, and let not talk about KHTML/Webkit and how Apple basically fucked over the KDE devs on that one. Right.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Next you'll talk about WebKit which was a POS KHTML that besides it's ``origin'' has nothing to do with WebKit; and thanks to WebKit the GTK port is mature and not a joke.
          This is really wrong on a tech level, and it's pretty asinine and hurtful to free software to engage in such historic revisionism. You're supporting the myth that only big traditional corporations can create valueable software, when the KHTML case demonstrates differently. Don't make such claims when you're clearly not informed about the engineering side.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Bsd isn't open source?
            That kernel is already relicensed under "Apple License", that's what I meant. Whatever they do, they will not follow any established rules, they'll always make their own.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They've always eschewed open source whenever possible (it's why they went BSD instead of Linux). CUPS and X were just too entrenched to avoid, impossible to take to closed source, so the only way to contribute was to do it in the open. But that's ok, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.
              Impossible? I don't think so. I can name a couple examples of open source project that have been closed sourced. Helix is one of those examples.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

The case of AMD is no longer true considering the gpuopen initiative. The SI kernel module from amdgpu is improving after getting the fix from one of AMD development to further advance the migration of all GCN architecture from radeonsi to amdgpu. A lot of happening in open source AMD world just very little noise about the movement.
                And who do you think have been doing all the development on the opensource AMD drivers such as amdgpu? That's right, the very folks at AMD who worked on fglrx and Catalyst. Not a single squeak from the so-called community during the entire process.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Impossible? I don't think so. I can name a couple examples of open source project that have been closed sourced. Helix is one of those examples.
                  It depends on the license. GNU (CUPS) or MIT (X.org) do not allow closing, afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because?

Just look at AMD: there's practically no community built around the open source driver, the development still falls squarely on the shoulders of people that were building the closed source driver.
                    You dont follow the development, do you? AMD hired Community Members that where working on the driver, Valve hired community members to work on the driver. Feral is working on the drivers. Your "no community" seems to me like a gread community across many companies and individuals. Today, the AMDGPU/RadeonSI driver stack is most likely one of the best supported and working drivers in linux-world

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

? What? I mean Apple is far from good, but miles better than Nvidia. You know about CUPS for example?
                      You have forgotten where CUPS came from. CUPS is Apple's by acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                      X