Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Makes Huge Code Contribution To Qt, New Qt 3D Studio

Phoronix: NVIDIA Makes Huge Code Contribution To Qt, New Qt 3D Studio

The Qt Company today announced Qt 3D Studio, a new 3D UI authoring system, thanks to NVIDIA providing Qt with hundreds of thousands of lines of source code making up this application...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Burn them to stake anyway.

Comment

Great contribution here, especially because 3D software development tools under open-source licenses are not that common.

Comment

They should rather contribute to the open source driver and shut down the closed one.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
          They should rather contribute to the open source driver and shut down the closed one.
          Because?

Just look at AMD: there's practically no community built around the open source driver, the development still falls squarely on the shoulders of people that were building the closed source driver. And this is like ten years after they started their open source effort. What incentive do you think Nvidia has to follow in AMD's steps, considering the outcome so far?
          I would love to see a Mesa driver from Nvidia, but let's be realistic: it's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Comment

I think it's pretty good, a great start.

If only Apple were as positive.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
              I think it's pretty good, a great start.

If only Apple were as positive.
              ? What? I mean Apple is far from good, but miles better than Nvidia. You know about CUPS for example?

Comment

It's always nice to see a company make a big contribution to open source software. Even when that company is known to be rather difficult to work with.

Still, I wonder if this is the handywork their office here in Finland?

Comment

Both nvidia and apple doesn't do *everything* wrong in the open world... nvidia's opengl debugger i've been trying works very well on linux (and their proprietary driver works well) even if both are closed, and clang originated from an apple project IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

? What? I mean Apple is far from good, but miles better than Nvidia. You know about CUPS for example?
                    That's and 'old' project.
                    I don't see the current apple maikng such a play.
                    Just look at Metal. They're dancing a completely different tune right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X