Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Nouveau NVC0 Gallium3D With Civilization 6 On Mesa 17.1

Phoronix: Trying Nouveau NVC0 Gallium3D With Civilization 6 On Mesa 17.1

With Intel Kabylake graphics on Mesa working (albeit very slowly) for Aspyr Media's latest Linux game port, Civilization VI, and RadeonSI Gallium3D running too albeit at a less than desirable speed, I decided to try running the open-source NVIDIA (Nouveau) driver with this latest AAA Linux game release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wouldn't expect anything else than a CPU- bound cap of 20 and 30 FPS just like RadeonSI because this game couldn't care less about GPU performance than high CPU clocks...

Comment

I was running the Linux 4.10 kernel and had enabled NvBoost=2 mode and re-clocked the graphics card to its 0f performance state.
      Why maniüulating the driver settings and dont stay on default? This has nothing to do what "normal users" would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
        Why maniüulating the driver settings and dont stay on default? This has nothing to do what "normal users" would do.
        Well first of all, "normal users" don't tend to use Nouveau but the NVIDIA binary driver. And Nouveau gaming is basically impossible without the re-clocking / boosting.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
          Normal users use the binary driver, which does the re-clocking by default.

Comment

anybody mind creating an apitrace for this game? I am quite sure this is due some multithreading stuff, but who knows

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
              Normal users use the binary driver, which does the re-clocking by default.
              normal windows users. normal linux distros install nouveau

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                anybody mind creating an apitrace for this game? I am quite sure this is due some multithreading stuff, but who knows
                Doesn't look like MT'ing is the cause here – It consistently segfaults in the register allocator instead.
                I tried to debug it myself during the weekend but C++ is \_(:_/ for me, so not much luck.
                I'll poke You on #nouveau about it later.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  normal windows users. normal linux distros install nouveau
                  Distros install nouveau, USERS install the binary driver. Don't confuse yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
                    Distros install nouveau, USERS install the binary driver. Don't confuse yourself.
                    most users install windows last i checked

Comment

Working...
                    X