Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Maxwell: Mesa 17.0 + Linux 4.10 vs. NVIDIA's Linux Driver

Phoronix: Nouveau Maxwell: Mesa 17.0 + Linux 4.10 vs. NVIDIA's Linux Driver

Recently on Phoronix we've tested the re-clocking and boost support in Nouveau with the Linux 4.10 kernel and separately landing in Mesa 17.0 Git was the big Maxwell performance boost for Nouveau Gallium3D. That Gallium3D driver work improves the Maxwell open-source performance by "1.5x to 3.5x" via instruction pipelining improvements. With those latest improvements in the kernel and Mesa, how does Nouveau now compare to NVIDIA's binary Linux driver?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael

Good tests however but why dont test 378.09 instead 375.27.03

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
      @Michael

Good tests however but why dont test 378.09 instead 375.27.03

Unlikely to be any real difference between those two driver releases... And 378 wasn't even out when I was doing these tests.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Not to take this off-topic but does anyone know what is going on with the AMD r600 driver? I am still stuck on OpenGL profile 3.3 with my HP Elitebook 8460p laptop. It has an AMD Radeon HD 6470M GPU with 1 GB RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
          Not to take this off-topic but does anyone know what is going on with the AMD r600 driver? I am still stuck on OpenGL profile 3.3 with my HP Elitebook 8460p laptop. It has an AMD Radeon HD 6470M GPU with 1 GB RAM.
          In short, that needs emulated doubles. In long, it needs a lot more. In theory, fglrx has 4.4 so up to that is possible. In practice, even if someone implemeted all these missing features for r600, still hardware is weak - so unusable.
          Last edited by dungeon; 22 January 2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

In short, that needs emulated doubles. In long, it needs a lot more. In theory, fglrx has 4.4 so up to that is possible. In practice, even if someone implemeted all these missing features for r600, still hardware is weak - so unusable.
            You just shoved a lot of BS into relatively few words. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              You just shoved a lot of BS into relatively few words. Nice!
              OK, no BS this time... In shortest, AMD does not look at these anymore.

It is forgotten even on a blob side, something like year and half ago at bare minimum
              Last edited by dungeon; 22 January 2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

OK, no BS this time... In shortest, AMD does not look at these anymore.

It is forgotten even on a blob side, something like year and half ago at bare minimum
                Which is exactly why the OSS drivers are such a good thing. r600 era hardware that doesn't support 64bit floats may never get this functionality on the OSS drivers, but at least the possibility still exists.

So yeah, your blob is obsolete just as you say, but that doesn't mean the hardware is obsolete.

Comment

Michael Are there really no other games than Enemy Territory Legacy and so on for automated testing? - I'm really glad for all open source games we have out there... but to be honest quite every game you test doesn't really qualify for testing the gaming performance of a GPU.

Usually one would choose GPU stressing games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Tomb Raider 2013, The Talos Principle, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, the Metro Reduxes, Mad Max
                  and add some of the latest, bit less GPU-demanding titles like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, Rust, mixed with popular, lesser demanding titles like Dota 2 and CS:GO.

I would be extremely more interested in such benchmarks if it was possible anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                    Michael Are there really no other games than Enemy Territory Legacy and so on for automated testing? - I'm really glad for all open source games we have out there... but to be honest quite every game you test doesn't really qualify for testing the gaming performance of a GPU.

Usually one would choose GPU stressing games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Tomb Raider 2013, The Talos Principle, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, the Metro Reduxes, Mad Max
                    and add some of the latest, bit less GPU-demanding titles like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, Rust, mixed with popular, lesser demanding titles like Dota 2 and CS:GO.

I would be extremely more interested in such benchmarks if it was possible anyway.
                    Most of the games you mention don't have automated testing support and the others are too demanding for Nouveau Maxwell stack... As you can see from BioShock, CSGO, Dota2, etc already being rather hammered.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X