Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Gets Patches For HDMI Stereoscopic 3D Output

Phoronix: Nouveau Gets Patches For HDMI Stereoscopic 3D Output

Nouveau continues advancing on the display front: beyond getting DP MST and atomic mode-setting support in the Linux 4.10 kernel, there are now patches available for wiring this open-source NVIDIA Linux driver up to supporting stereoscopic 3D output via HDMI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Adds support for 3D TV. No more 3D TVs have been announced for this year...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Yeah, my heart sank a bit when I heard that a few days back, especially considering I've been working on something similar on the AMD side. But I figured I might as well see it through, so I posted what I have so far on dri-devel.

Comment

Never understood the craze over 3D and probably never will. What purpose does watching the news in 3D serve?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          The 3D hype were replaced for something more usable, like 4K and others

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

The 3D hype were replaced for something more usable, like 4K and others
            Some would tell you that you can't even see the difference with 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Never understood the craze over 3D and probably never will. What purpose does watching the news in 3D serve?
              As it was easy to see with 3D movies, 3D tech is an answer waiting for the question.

None even bothered to create a good reason to actually have 3D in movies. At most they were throwing shit at you on-screen, just to show how cool is 3D, but the movie could have worked 1000% fine even without the 10 seconds of those scenes.

And this snowballs to far-less-budget media streams like TV channels. Hell, ist's 2017 AD and most of the world is still watching TV channels in 720p (with rather crappy encoding too).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                As it was easy to see with 3D movies, 3D tech is an answer waiting for the question.

None even bothered to create a good reason to actually have 3D in movies. At most they were throwing shit at you on-screen, just to show how cool is 3D, but the movie could have worked 1000% fine even without the 10 seconds of those scenes.

And this snowballs to far-less-budget media streams like TV channels. Hell, ist's 2017 AD and most of the world is still watching TV channels in 720p (with rather crappy encoding too).
                So true. I can't possibly agree any more. For me it's even worse because the 3D encoding, to my eyes just looks like two frames displayed at once with them being slightly off center from one another. It doesn't look 3 dimensional at all, just fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

Some would tell you that you can't even see the difference with 4k.
                  Some would tell you that people that believe that are full of shit. For real though, 4K is a hell of an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

So true. I can't possibly agree any more. For me it's even worse because the 3D encoding, to my eyes just looks like two frames displayed at once with them being slightly off center from one another. It doesn't look 3 dimensional at all, just fucked up.
                    Passive 3D is far much comfortable in actual use, just like watching 3D movie in the cinema. The only down side is its vertical resolution is halved.

I used to use a passive monitor to play a game L4D2 in Windows for years. After Steam introduced Linux version, I can finally switch to Linux for my home computer, though there is no stereoscopic 3D driver in Linux.

And now, as usual, the features comes from Linux for desktop users is always too late.

Comment

Working...
                    X